Which logical fallacies are these?

• Thread starter 27Thousand
  • Start date
In summary: Him, "Not from a book, LOL!" In summary, my roommates would tell me not to think for myself and that I should just conform to what everyone else is saying. I felt like they were trying to say I can't have any thoughts or feelings of my own since everything is automatically from a book. Do you ever try to apply what you learn? Does that mean you should forget everything you know so that you can be creative?
27Thousand said:
I emailed my professor and he said that he thought my example was a very deep understanding of how the concept works, and he said just to not worry about it because an education will get me further than what my roommate will have. Don't you hear people all the time say, "He's tired"? Although my response was geeky, was my roommates response any more thought out/less rote?
By the way you are talking I'd say you are about 14. A kid. As everyone has pointed out before. Your peers (the professor in this case) would have like your answer. Your friends wouldn't as they are not in the same field as you. His response was perfectly valid and showed his annoyance at you, mocking you. Look up the word peers.

27Thousand said:
Where did I say it was brilliantly creative? I only what I said wasn't from a book, and described how I felt at the time.
You didn't say it, I never said you did, you tried to argue to us that it was creative and wanted us to respond with how brilliant it is.

27Thousand said:
If you say what you think, and someone says, "Not from a book," please explain how they are not discrediting your thoughts? If what I said was how I thought just as much as someone saying, "I'm happy," how is it supposed to be any less of a blow to being a person when someone says, "Not from a book"? I didn't even get it from a book. If he quotes lines from the movie Princess Bride, how is his response less from a book? Roommates tell others that they're going to the grocery store, and I see going to the grocery store in books/newspapers. So what?
They are taking the p***. Why do you take everything so literally?

27Thousand said:
In hindsight, I agree that it was too much thought to share for the situation, but how was "he's tired" less ordinary? Which do you hear more often? Which answer was used in a more out of the ordinary way, even if neither was entertaining? Does "He's tired" sound extremely entertaining and original? Don't you think he could have been more "new" and creative than "he's tired"? Remember, Einstein said he wasn't trying to create, but rather discover.
Look, when asked "why did he go upstairs" there are a number of ways to respond and the roommate wasn't looking for a lecture. He wanted a simple "to sleep" or perhaps something humourous. By giving a lecture of textbook psychology, you fueled their jokes and annoyed them at the same time by giving such a long and pointless answer. STOP COMPARING YOURSELF TO EINSTEIN AND NEWTON! When with peers yes, give the long answers because they'll like them. When with friends react how they would expect.

27Thousand said:
I don't understand why you say I got it from a thesaurus? Everyone knows the word "conceptualize"; the word is free for everyone to use. The only words I took from the television show decades ago was "the world around". I used multiple life experiences to create, "I'm just trying to conceptualize the world around me." It wasn't meant to be brilliant, but rather communicate my feelings at the time. That's why I got the impression he was saying not to have any feelings, because everything is automatically in a book.
I didn't know the word conceptualize. Regardless, he was mocking you. Until you can understand this I suggest you stop leading yourself into those situations.

You sound about 14 to me, like a kid. You are still arguing irrelevant points. The only thing I want a response to are these:

1) Why does it matter to you so much? Why do you give a ****?
2) Do you understand the advice given? Can you see why your responses are inapropriate and simply fuel your friends attitude?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not plagiarism

I went to answers.yahoo.com to find out about this.

I asked if this is considered plagiarism in the Law section and these were the responses I received:

(First Person)
No it is not and your friend is pulling your chain.
Plagiarism is stealing a known persons ideas, writings and image
Using your friend's theory we could not even say Happy Birthday to each other since someone owns the rights to that song.

(Second Person)
you will find your phrase on this blog. goto 27 thousan's comments.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread ... (hmmm, I guess it's a small world.)

(Third Person)
I think you are wasting a lot of time thinking about something so trivial. It is not plagiarism to quote anything. Plagiarism is copying someone else's written work.

See, I think it's trivial that someone would say it's plagiarism, while it really isn't. I also think it's just as ridiculous as someone saying you can't say "Happy Birthday!"

Although I don't think, "I'm just trying to conceptualize the world around me," is anything profound, it's how my feelings were at the time. All I did was pulled "the world around" from the tv show to create my feelings, not even the same thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
jarednjames said:
You didn't say it, I never said you did, you tried to argue to us that it was creative and wanted us to respond with how brilliant it is.

Where did I argue that it was brilliant? Which post? I never said it was brilliant, I only said I wasn't copying a book. The only words I took from Newton's Apple show was "the world around" and turned it into "I'm just trying to conceptualize the world around me." Is it the same thing? My roommate later that day then started quoting lines from the movie Princess Bride, which I hear others do the same every once in a while. If someone told you that you can't say "He's watching TV" because TV is in a book, would you think that's logical? I went to answers.yahoo.com and asked if what I said was plagiarism, and they said no. And I never said it was brilliant, but rather I felt I had the right to express my feelings.

jarednjames said:
Look, when asked "why did he go upstairs" there are a number of ways to respond and the roommate wasn't looking for a lecture. He wanted a simple "to sleep" or perhaps something humourous.

I never said my answer was entertaining, I just don't see his "He's tired" as anymore cute and entertaining. They always say in working towards creativity, you should work on "thinking differently", "looking at things from a different angle," or "divergent thinking," and that you'll have to keep brainstorming past many bad ideas until one day you come to a great idea. Have you heard that before? I don't understand how him saying, "He's tired," is divergent thinking?

jarednjames said:
1) Why does it matter to you so much? Why do you give a ****?

Because - Although I'm not Newton or Einstein, I think all of us in this forum should strive to be more like them. They were both really into figuring out the underlying logic of the Universe.

If a roommate asked you where another roommate was, and you said, "He's in the kitchen," what would you think if he said, "Not from a book, kitchen is found in a book. Be creative"? That's the same way I felt, and feel that I need to intellectualize against that type of logic.

Another way to look at it, Einstein would drive some of his professors crazy at the University (besides appearing lazy to them). He would go up to them and suggest an experiment to test his professors' ideas. His professors thought he was arrogant, and Einstein felt like he was suppressed because that wasn't his intent. Now think of it this way, how would Einstein think if his professors dismissed him with, "Nope, not from a book Einstein. Be creative"?

jarednjames said:
2) Do you understand the advice given? Can you see why your responses are inapropriate and simply fuel your friends attitude?

Yes, I already understand how the first two examples may have been not socially greased up. I was simply saying that I don't understand how I was relying more on a book/being less divergent thinking than he was, even if my responses weren't all that great. I'm just trying to look at the bigger picture than the social situation involved.

In the third example, he asked me what the main weakness of the Scientific Method is. So it would seem the context says my answer could be given. I also don't understand why you think my answer was more from a book? You hear books talk about the null hypothesis and how that's a weakness of the Scientific Method all the time. On the other hand, which book says that a possible way it could go wrong is scientists drillings holes into peoples' heads to release evil spirits? I can't think of where that hypothetical example is given, nor any reasonable scientists who would conduct that experimental control study.

For the third example, if someone was watching American Idol and told you, "I think such and such will win," would you say, "Not from a book. I've seen American Idol in a book"? Although American Idol is not that person's idea, if they say they think such and such will win, and they never announced that person will win on TV, then it's an idea that they didn't get from a book. If that person didn't read about American Idol in a book, I don't understand why you'd even say that to them? My roommate's response of the null hypothesis being a weakness is said all the time in college research/statistics textbooks, which I found out that he had taken earlier. Does that make sense where I'm coming from?

Ophiolite said:
We are using a metaphor.

What you still haven't explained why the **** it matters.

I understand that you're saying I wasn't socially skilled in those situations (although example three the context of it would say differently, based on what he asked and his response).

I just combined most of my response for your post with that for Jared's, just found directly above. It talks about why it matters.

Math Is Hard said:
Seriously, 27, maybe you should check with your school and see if there are some counselors who could help you in developing your social skills a bit. This topic is starting to wear pretty thin.

Okay, so here's a concern I have. Maybe you can address it, since my social skills may not be good enough to ward this irrationality off. Let's say I take an Interpersonal Communications college course. They have textbooks, which have techniques in becoming better interpersonal wise. What if a roommate were to say, "Nope, not from a book. Interpersonal communication techniques are found in a book. If you read about them, then try them out for yourself and it works for you, that's not being creative because others use those techniques. In a thousand years from now, they may have better interpersonal communication techniques in books, because knowledge changes over time, which you could pioneer. So don't even take the class because they aren't ideas of your own. Galileo was creative. Be more like him. The book will talk about how people use eye contact to communicate with each other. You need to be more creative, and not use eye contact when talking with people. Einstein was creative."

Okay, I think that's irrational. Does anyone else here see how irrational that possible response is? If that happens, how would I respond? What type of interpersonal communication skills could I use to defend myself taking an interpersonal communications class?

27Thousand said:
What type of interpersonal communication skills could I use to defend myself taking an interpersonal communications class?
Laugh in their face, tell them to **** off, then go for a beer with someone who matters.

Game over, 27Thousand. I don't think you are sincere. You're just messing around with the members here.