1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which Major to Choose?

1. Mar 20, 2013 #1
    Hi all, so a little about me first. I'm a freshman in a local CC looking to pursue a degree in engineering. Ultimately I want to work with and or study biomechanics/biomedicine, should I get my degree in BME or one of the broader fields of eng. like ECE, MechE, ChemE? I've heard that most employers are against hiring BME's because the curriculum offered at most schools is weak compared to the other degree programs mentioned, and what usually happens is they aggregate a variety of engineers to work on a project. Anyway, what do you think?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2013 #2
    I suggest acquiring a BS in mechanical engineering and then finding a masters program that would be tailored to your focus. Additionally, work for a bit as an ME before you start any masters program. You will have a better idea as to which classes will enable you to perform well at your job (assuming you find an entry level job in biomechanics/medicine).

4. Mar 21, 2013 #3
    I would recommend considering biomaterials specialization, that would be within a materials science and engineering degree.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook