1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which makes a better prism?

1. Apr 19, 2007 #1
    Which makes a better prism??

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hey guys, I'm helping my girlfriend once again, in physics 101!!! I'm not used to these "theory" questions...haha

Anyways, the question asks:Which would make a better prism, a diamond or glass?

I guess, I chose glass...because a diamond has a lot of little prisms inside of it(I think)...so, that would defeat the purpose, in my opinion) Also, a diamond distorts light....I don't know.....

Need some help, and need to be able to explain it to her, so she can understand it for the final. Make me understand it first, please!!

Thanks,
    Brad

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2007 #2
    you're thinking of diamond that is already cut and polished into a certain shape.
    prisms use the refraction of light from one medium to the next. the better prism will have a higher refractive index..

4. Apr 19, 2007 #3
    So, according to you.......Diamond is a better prism(2.42) with glass being(1.52).....just found those off of the net.

5. Apr 19, 2007 #4
    that's right

6. Apr 19, 2007 #5
    and likely why diamonds cost a lot more than glass, as in where does all the flash and color come from?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?