Masters Course Decision: Physics Major Choosing Between 4 Options

In summary, the person is finishing their bachelor's degree in physics and cannot continue to doctoral studies due to financial reasons. They are considering working in finance after graduation but do not want to change their bachelor's degree. They are seeking advice on which masters program to choose: nuclear physics, solid-state physics, geophysics, or theoretical physics. They mention that they do not want to work in academia and are looking for a high-paying job, possibly in an oil company. However, it is mentioned that it may be difficult to get hired at a nuclear power plant with a nuclear physics degree.
dizinko
After I finish my bachelor studies (Physics in general) I will have to choose a two-year Masters course. Sadly, I cannot continue in doctoral studies, mainly because of money... I will need pretty much money, so working in a finance world may be good for me after finishing school. Changing my bachelor course and loosing a year or two isn't a choice for me...
Which should I prefer?

1. Nuclear phys. (And then working in a nuclear power plant)
2. Solid-state phys. (Research?)
3. Geophysics (With many numerical modelling courses)
4. Theoretical phys. (Interesting, hard)

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
dizinko said:
After I finish my bachelor studies (Physics in general) I will have to choose a two-year Masters course. Sadly, I cannot continue in doctoral studies, mainly because of money... I will need pretty much money, so working in a finance world may be good for me after finishing school. Changing my bachelor course and loosing a year or two isn't a choice for me...
Which should I prefer?

Thanks for any help.

You realize that PhDs are usually fully funded with a TA, at least in the US and I believe this is true for Canada and much of Western Europe as well?

I know that PhDs are fully funded. Academic career is simply no longer acceptable for me. I'm a talented young man and this is a family problem. I know that it's impossible to fully understand my current position but I don't want to talk about personal matters too much.

dizinko said:
I know that PhDs are fully funded. Academic career is simply no longer acceptable for me.

Not all PhDs work in academia, many go on to working in industry. However, I think you just want to get out and start making money. I would suggest geophysics from the list you have above. If you get yourself a job with an oil company, they will pay you a good amount. BUT the competition to work in an oil company is high..
Not sure if a nuclear power plant would higher a nuclear physicist. They mostly higher nuclear engineers. Unless the plant is involved in nuclear physics research? (I just googled about this, correct me if I am wrong)

DoubleMint

dizinko said:
Which should I prefer?

Thanks for any help.

You're really unlikely to get hired at a nuclear plant as a nuclear physics masters level graduate. They really rather have someone who has experience as a Nuclear Engineer or in that course work area.

Nuclear Physics doesn't cover anything that a Nuclear Engineering degree does.

What are the 4 options for a physics major to choose from in a Masters course decision?

The 4 options for a physics major to choose from in a Masters course decision are: pursuing a Masters in Physics, a Masters in Astrophysics, a Masters in Applied Physics, or a Masters in Engineering Physics.

What factors should a physics major consider when deciding between these 4 options?

A physics major should consider their interests and career goals, the curriculum and course offerings of each program, the faculty and research opportunities available, and the overall reputation and ranking of the program.

Which option is best for a physics major who wants to pursue a career in research?

The best option for a physics major who wants to pursue a career in research would be a Masters in Physics or a Masters in Astrophysics. These programs typically have a strong focus on research and provide opportunities for students to work on cutting-edge projects with faculty members.

Which option is best for a physics major who wants to pursue a career in industry?

The best option for a physics major who wants to pursue a career in industry would be a Masters in Applied Physics or a Masters in Engineering Physics. These programs often have a more practical and hands-on approach, preparing students for careers in fields such as technology, materials science, and engineering.

Are there any additional factors to consider when choosing between these 4 options?

In addition to the factors mentioned above, a physics major should also consider the location and cost of each program, as well as any specific requirements or prerequisites for admission. It may also be helpful to speak with current students or alumni of each program to get a better understanding of the experience and opportunities offered.