1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses Which Masters Course?

  1. Aug 26, 2011 #1
    After I finish my bachelor studies (Physics in general) I will have to choose a two-year Masters course. Sadly, I cannot continue in doctoral studies, mainly because of money... I will need pretty much money, so working in a finance world may be good for me after finishing school. Changing my bachelor course and loosing a year or two isn't a choice for me...
    Which should I prefer?

    1. Nuclear phys. (And then working in a nuclear power plant)
    2. Solid-state phys. (Research?)
    3. Geophysics (With many numerical modelling courses)
    4. Theoretical phys. (Interesting, hard)

    Thanks for any help.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2011 #2
    You realize that PhDs are usually fully funded with a TA, at least in the US and I believe this is true for Canada and much of Western Europe as well?
  4. Aug 26, 2011 #3
    I know that PhDs are fully funded. Academic career is simply no longer acceptable for me. I'm a talented young man and this is a family problem. I know that it's impossible to fully understand my current position but I don't want to talk about personal matters too much.
  5. Aug 26, 2011 #4
    Not all PhDs work in academia, many go on to working in industry. However, I think you just want to get out and start making money. I would suggest geophysics from the list you have above. If you get yourself a job with an oil company, they will pay you a good amount. BUT the competition to work in an oil company is high..
    Not sure if a nuclear power plant would higher a nuclear physicist. They mostly higher nuclear engineers. Unless the plant is involved in nuclear physics research? (I just googled about this, correct me if im wrong)

  6. Aug 26, 2011 #5
    You're really unlikely to get hired at a nuclear plant as a nuclear physics masters level graduate. They really rather have someone who has experience as a Nuclear Engineer or in that course work area.

    Nuclear Physics doesn't cover anything that a Nuclear Engineering degree does.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook