Which Masters Course?

• Courses
  • Thread starter dizinko
  • Start date
After I finish my bachelor studies (Physics in general) I will have to choose a two-year Masters course. Sadly, I cannot continue in doctoral studies, mainly because of money... I will need pretty much money, so working in a finance world may be good for me after finishing school. Changing my bachelor course and loosing a year or two isn't a choice for me...
Which should I prefer?

1. Nuclear phys. (And then working in a nuclear power plant)
2. Solid-state phys. (Research?)
3. Geophysics (With many numerical modelling courses)
4. Theoretical phys. (Interesting, hard)

Thanks for any help.

Answers and Replies

After I finish my bachelor studies (Physics in general) I will have to choose a two-year Masters course. Sadly, I cannot continue in doctoral studies, mainly because of money... I will need pretty much money, so working in a finance world may be good for me after finishing school. Changing my bachelor course and loosing a year or two isn't a choice for me...
Which should I prefer?

Thanks for any help.

You realize that PhDs are usually fully funded with a TA, at least in the US and I believe this is true for Canada and much of Western Europe as well?

I know that PhDs are fully funded. Academic career is simply no longer acceptable for me. I'm a talented young man and this is a family problem. I know that it's impossible to fully understand my current position but I don't want to talk about personal matters too much.

I know that PhDs are fully funded. Academic career is simply no longer acceptable for me.

Not all PhDs work in academia, many go on to working in industry. However, I think you just want to get out and start making money. I would suggest geophysics from the list you have above. If you get yourself a job with an oil company, they will pay you a good amount. BUT the competition to work in an oil company is high..
Not sure if a nuclear power plant would higher a nuclear physicist. They mostly higher nuclear engineers. Unless the plant is involved in nuclear physics research? (I just googled about this, correct me if im wrong)

DoubleMint

Which should I prefer?

Thanks for any help.

You're really unlikely to get hired at a nuclear plant as a nuclear physics masters level graduate. They really rather have someone who has experience as a Nuclear Engineer or in that course work area.

Nuclear Physics doesn't cover anything that a Nuclear Engineering degree does.