Which math class should i take?

• Thread starter ironman1478
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Class
In summary: Abstract algebra is a prerequisite for a lot of math courses, so if you want to minor in math or get a bachelor's in math, you will need to take abstract algebra.
ironman1478
Hello physicsforums

next semester i have a bit of an awkward schedule because i changed majors. this left me with in a strange spot where i can take another math class.

here are my choices
Abstract Algebra
pros
+i am pretty interested in it due to some exposure in linear algebra
+I have to take this class if i want to get a minor or a BA in Math in addition to my computer engineering degree

cons
-might be too difficult for me (i don't have too much exposure to proofs)
-I don't imagine its too useful for a computer engineer with a focus on CS, but that's not too much of a con
-professor wrote the book we are using. last time this happened i ended up just teaching myself the subject from a different book because i learned nothing at lecture since it was the book regurgitated back to us in an equally confusing manner (i didn't like the way the book was written).

sidenote: if i don't take this class now, i will just end up taking it in 2-3 semesters anyway, the other ones i might not however since the math minor doesn't require them, but it requires algebra

Number Theory
pros
+seems really useful since one of my interests is cryptography

cons
-dont know? i am not really sure what the class is like since I've never been exposed to it

Numerical Methods
pros
+generally a useful subject since it deals with both optimization and useful ways to use computers to do complex calculations

cons
-seems a little boring from what i have heard (not that big of a deal)
-could be very time consuming since there might be a lot of trial and error involved

-/+ not really a pro or con but it counts towards my engineering degree rather than my math and taking it would close off the possibility of getting a BA since i wouldn't have enough room for more math classes. not really a negative since in the end a minor or a BA is just a piece of paper.

right now i am leaning towards either abstract algebra or number theory since they seem a bit more interesting (at least abstract algebra). however i would prefer to take the one that is maybe a bit less time consuming since next semester i will be taking the max amount of units allowed and the other classes i am taking are going to be extremely time consuming from what I've heard from my classmates.

also i have another question, but this doesn't really have to be answered

is knowing a foreign language important? the reason i ask is because i switched from CS to CECS because CS required 3 semesters of foreign language, and from past experiences with foreign languages (italian) i was probably going to fail. so i changed to CECS which contains the entire CS curriculum but instead of 3 language classes i have to take 4 circuits and computer architecture classes, which is totally fine by me since i am interested in those subjects. will not knowing any foreign language bar me from grad school in CS or job opportunities, or is it not that important.

thanx in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
If you think abstract algebra will be too difficult, then number theory will be for sure. Usually, you should already know abstract algebra before taking number theory. So I wouldn't take this yet.

In a first abstract algebra course, the prof usually assumes that you don't know so much proofs yet. So he will usually introduce you gently to it (but it can still be a rough ride even then). I'd say to just bite the bullet and do the algebra class. You need it anyway...

thanx a lot. i didn't know that you needed abstract algebra for number theory.

I guess i will be taking that :)

It varies by school whether you need algebra for number theory or not. At my college, you can take number theory after integral calculus/calc II, but it's just elementary number theory. It does get into some algebra-related concepts, but it approaches them at a pretty basic level.

Based on the information provided, it seems like Abstract Algebra would be the best math class for you to take. While it may be more challenging, it aligns with your interests and future plans, as well as being a requirement for a minor or BA in Math. Additionally, it seems like you have a good understanding of the subject already and the only potential con is the professor's teaching style, which you can address by finding additional resources to supplement your learning.

As for the question about foreign language, it ultimately depends on your future goals. Some graduate programs and job opportunities may require knowledge of a foreign language, while others may not. It's important to research the specific requirements for your desired path and make a decision based on that. However, it's always beneficial to have knowledge of a foreign language, so if you have the time and resources, it may be worth considering taking a language class in the future.

1. What math classes are available to me?

There are typically a variety of math classes offered at most schools, ranging from basic algebra and geometry to more advanced courses such as calculus and statistics. It's important to check with your specific institution to see what courses are available.

2. What math class should I take if I want to major in a science or engineering field?

If you are planning on pursuing a degree in a science or engineering field, it is generally recommended to take calculus as well as any other math courses that are required for your specific major. These courses will provide a strong foundation for your future studies.

3. What math class should I take if I struggle with math?

If math is not your strongest subject, it's important to start with a class that is at your current level of understanding. This may mean taking a basic math course to refresh your skills before moving on to more advanced classes. It's important to work at your own pace and seek help when needed.

4. What math class should I take to fulfill my general education requirements?

Many colleges and universities have general education requirements that include a certain number of math credits. In this case, it's important to check with your academic advisor to see what courses will fulfill this requirement. Some schools may offer specific math courses designed for non-math majors to fulfill these requirements.

5. What math class should I take if I am interested in pursuing a career in business?

If you plan on pursuing a career in business, it is recommended to take courses in both algebra and statistics. These courses will provide a strong foundation for understanding and analyzing data, which is important in many business-related careers.