Which Math Sequence to Follow?

• Thread starter APHELION
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sequence
In summary, there is confusion about whether college algebra is necessary for science/engineering majors, as one school recommends it while another only mentions it for business majors. It is recommended to take both intermediate algebra and trigonometry. Trig does involve some algebra, but it is up to personal preference whether to take college algebra for a confidence boost or review intermediate concepts leading into trig.
APHELION
Ok so I'm thoroughly confused about whether I need to take college algebra after looking at a PROSPECTIVE schools science/engineering departments recommended math sequence. This school recommends a sequence that goes from intermediate algebra---->geometry---->trig---->calc but they make no mention of college algebra except that it's required for business majors.

My CURRENT school recommends both college algebra and trig to continue into calculus. So if I do decide to stay at my current school, which class would I be better suited to take first college algebra or trig? OR does it matter?

I realize each school has it's own way of establishing pre-reqs but would I be in a better position to go to this other school and avoid college algebra by going straight into trig--->pre calculus---->calculus? Or is college algebra going to be instrumental in helping me succeed in upper level math?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Essentially, Intermediate Algebra and Trigonometry are needed. More is better, but those two are what you most need.

Great thank you for clearing that up!

Sorry I forgot to ask one more question. I wanted to know how much of Trig deals with Algebra? I realize it comes into play with functions, but how about anywhere else? I'm concerned because I took intermediate algebra about a year ago and am not completely confident I remember all the concepts. Do you think I should take college algebra for a confidence boost? Or is this class something unrelated that is not really going to prep me for trig, in which case I can just go back and study intermediate concepts that lead into trig more.

1. What is the difference between algebra and calculus?

Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with equations and operations on numbers, while calculus is a branch that deals with the study of change and rates of change. Algebra is used to solve equations and manipulate numbers, while calculus is used to understand and describe the behavior of functions and their rates of change.

2. Should I take pre-calculus before calculus?

It is recommended to take pre-calculus before calculus as it provides a foundation for the concepts and skills needed in calculus. Pre-calculus covers topics such as functions, graphs, logarithms, and trigonometry, which are essential for understanding calculus.

3. What is the difference between AP Calculus AB and BC?

AP Calculus AB and BC are two different levels of Calculus offered by the College Board. AP Calculus AB covers a full year of college-level calculus, while AP Calculus BC covers the same material as AB along with additional topics such as series, parametric and polar equations, and advanced integration techniques.

4. Can I skip pre-calculus and go straight to calculus?

It is not recommended to skip pre-calculus and go straight to calculus as it may result in a lack of understanding of fundamental concepts and skills needed in calculus. It is important to have a strong foundation in pre-calculus before moving on to calculus.

5. What is the best math sequence for someone pursuing a STEM career?

The best math sequence for someone pursuing a STEM career would be to take algebra in high school, followed by geometry, algebra 2, pre-calculus, and finally, calculus. This sequence provides a solid foundation in math and prepares students for more advanced math courses in college, which are essential for many STEM careers.