1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which maths to choose?

1. Nov 27, 2008 #1

danago

Gold Member

Hi. I am doing a combined commerce (fiancne)/Engineering (Chemical and Process) degree and as part of the course requirements on the commerce side of my degree i need to choose a maths unit. There are restrictions on what i can do, so there arent too many i can choose from. I basically just want to choose whatever will be most useful to a chemical engineer.

Choices:

Introduction to Geometric Topology
    I guess this would be an interesting unit, but i cant see it being relevent to my intended career path.

Control Theory
    I dont know if this kinda thing is actually useful to a practicing engineer, but i know it goes really well with some of the other units i will be taking (Process dynamics and control), i think.

Random Processes and Their Applications
    I guess statistics and random processes apply to everything. This is also a recommended (although not required) unit to another unit i will be taking, "Applied probability in commerce and finance". I also have interest in this unit, which is making this a very tempting choice.

Codes and Ciphers
    I guess it could be interesting, but i cant see it being very applicable to what i plan on doing.

Complex Variable Methods

Industrial Statistics and Total Quality Management
    I think this would be the most applicable to engineering since it takes statistics and puts it in the context of industry and quality control.

So they are the units i can choose from. I think i will choose either of the statistics units or the control theory unit, but any input at all will be great :)

Thanks,
    Dan.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2008 #2
    Either one with statistics is a good choice I'd say. Statistics is a good thing to know, even if only a little bit.

4. Dec 6, 2008 #3

danago

Gold Member

Thanks for the reply. Ive pretty much decided it will be one of the statistics units, but not sure which one yet. Its still a few years away so theres no rush for me to decide, but i just wanted to get my study plan all done :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?