Are FCC or BCC Crystal Structures Stronger?

• Thread starter jojoba
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Metals
In summary, the strength of a metal depends on its crystal structure and the direction in which it is subjected to a force. FCC metals tend to have more slip systems compared to BCC metals, resulting in easier deformation and higher ductility. The atomic packing factor (APF) is an important factor in determining the number of slip systems in a crystal structure. BCC metals are generally stronger than FCC metals, while HCP metals are the most brittle. Calister or Smith's books provide further explanations on this topic.
jojoba
"Which metals tend to be stronger, those that form FCC or those that form BCC crystals? "
This is the solution provided which doesn't make much sense to me: "You should look at APF and coordination number of each crystal system to base your answer"
Is this even a valid question? Doesn't the answer depend on which direction the material is going to be subjected to a force since "strongness" is a directional property? I thought we should choose a particular direction for both systems and look at planar and linear densities. Hence, the slip phenomenon in the crystal structure with a greater planar density in the "chosen direction" will progress with more ease which suggests that the the material is "stronger" if subjected to a force in the chosen direction.
I would appreciate it if someone could point me to the flaw in my reasoning.

Engineering news on Phys.org
It is a valid question. FCC metals tend to have more slip systems, i.e. slip directions and slip planes than BCC. Yes the APF is important, the atomic packing factor, that is the reason FCC has more slip systems, because of the way the atoms are arranged in the crystal.
Thus FCC metals deform easier than BCC metals and thus they are more ductile. BCC metals are infact stronger than FCC metals. HCP metals are the most brittle.
Calister or Smith explains this if you can get your hands on either of the books.

I understand your confusion with the provided solution. The strength of a metal depends on various factors, including its crystal structure, dislocation density, and alloy composition. Therefore, it is not a straightforward answer to say that one crystal system is inherently stronger than the other.

To answer this question, we need to consider the specific properties of the metals in question. For example, FCC metals tend to be more ductile and have higher deformability due to their closely packed atomic arrangement. On the other hand, BCC metals have a lower ductility and higher strength due to their less closely packed atomic arrangement.

However, as you mentioned, the strength of a metal also depends on the direction in which the force is applied. This is because the atomic arrangement in a crystal structure is not uniform in all directions. For example, in BCC metals, the slip planes and directions are different in different crystallographic orientations, which can affect the material's strength. Therefore, it is essential to consider the direction of force application when comparing the strength of metals with different crystal structures.

In summary, the strength of a metal depends on various factors, including its crystal structure and the direction of force application. Hence, it is not a valid question to ask which crystal structure is inherently stronger, and the answer would depend on the specific properties and conditions of the metals in question.

1. Which metals are considered the strongest?

The strongest metals are typically considered to be titanium, tungsten, chromium, vanadium, and nickel. However, the strength of a metal can vary depending on various factors such as alloying elements and heat treatment.

2. What makes a metal strong?

A metal's strength is determined by its atomic structure and the presence of dislocations within its crystal lattice. Generally, metals with a high melting point, high density, and closely packed atoms tend to be stronger.

3. Is strength the only important factor in determining the quality of a metal?

No, strength is just one of many important factors in determining the quality of a metal. Other factors such as ductility, toughness, corrosion resistance, and cost also play a significant role in determining the usefulness and value of a metal.

4. Can a metal be both strong and lightweight?

Yes, there are several metals that are both strong and lightweight. These include aluminum, titanium, magnesium, and beryllium. These metals are often used in industries such as aerospace and automotive due to their high strength-to-weight ratio.

5. How is the strength of a metal tested?

The strength of a metal is typically tested through tensile testing, which involves subjecting a sample of the metal to a gradually increasing amount of force until it breaks. The amount of force required to break the sample is then used to calculate the metal's tensile strength.