Which Microcontroller?

1. Which Microcontroller??

i am supposed to build a VARIABLE DIGITAL NOTCH FILTER using a microcontroller (either avr atmega-32 or 8051) for my lab project.
    I don't know which one to chose please help me out.
    And suggest any nice tutorials to learn about microcontrollers.

2. jcsd
  3. berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Re: Which Microcontroller??

I've used the 8051 for some DSP, but it's just an 8-bit processor, right? Seems like you would only use it for DSP if the DSP were relatively simple, and cost was a big factor.

For either one, the manufacturer will have tutorial resources on their website.

4. Re: Which Microcontroller??

I would use the Atmega-32. The 8051 is a legacy chip that is only kept around because old timers don't like to learn new technology.

5. berkeman

Who you calling old timer?! :biggrin:

6. Re: Which Microcontroller??

That's a bit unjust. There's a lot of legacy hardware and software, design tools, etc that's been thoroughly developed and tested that requires 8051 processors, and there's no shortage of sources for compatible processors. Migrating to a more modern processor would often be expensive and would involve not-insignificant risks. It's not just kept around because "old timers don't like to learn new technology".

That said, I'd go with the AVR. It's a simple and clean design, and if your goal isn't specifically to learn the 8051, it seems an odd choice. The AVR is also a bit unusual for this, though...like the 8051, it's an 8-bit microcontroller, not a DSP, and depending on your needs may be extremely lacking in processing power. In any case, check out http://www.avrfreaks.net/ for forums and other resources, and look at Atmel's application notes.

7. Re: Which Microcontroller??

Ya.. Atmega looks like a superior choice because it's got an inbuilt ADC and all.

please suggest any tutorials for learning about microcontrollers

8. berkeman

4-char

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?