• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Which Minor Should I Choose

Main Question or Discussion Point

I am enrolled at the University of Waterloo's Honours Physics Program with a specialization in Applied Physics. In the future I would like to either work as a physicist conducting research or work on developing energy sources like nuclear or solar power. My main options would include a minor in chemistry or computing. I would like to complete a minor to make myself more marketable in the future and was having trouble deciding which minor I should choose.

Answers and Replies

Personally, I would choose Computing as its a skill used everywhere today. Applied Physics jobs will expect you to have the requisite computer skills to do the work and this will come up in job interviews and should be on your resume.

Its harder to make a case for Chemistry and Applied Physics although I'm sure there are jobs where the combination would be helpful. However for those kinds of jobs the employer most likely would hire you for your Applied Physics background and train you onsite for the necessary Chemistry needed for the job.

You can do some research here on available jobs in Applied Physics to see what they are looking for skills-wise:

https://www.aip.org/jobs/profiles/applied-physics-jobs