Which MP3 Player Should I Get? I've Never Owned One Before

• Thread starter ranger
  • Start date
In summary: The Zen V 4GB model has a flash-based memory, which means it can hold more songs than a hard drive-based mp3 player. The Zune HD, which is the newer model, has a screen that is better quality and a better viewing angle. The Ipod is also a good option, but it is more expensive.
ranger
Gold Member
I've never owned an mp3 player before . Now I want to invest in one. But I'm unsure which one to get. So far I've looked at the Ipod, Creative Zen, and Zune players. The zune looks damn pretty with its relatively large screen. Whats your experience with these? I honestly don't think I'd ever need 30GB for over 7000 songs. I have about 40 albums I want to digitize (just over 500 songs; I'll have it mp3 and wma format). According to the specs on the 4GB Zen player, it can hold about 2000 songs. Should I take this limit literally? An average album when ripped or downloaded for me is about 60 - 90MB (approx. 12 songs ea.). According to that, I'd only have enough space for 22 albums. If a 4GB can hold 2000 songs, and a 30BG can hold 7000 songs; something doesn't seem right there. I won't enjoy any movies on that small screen either. Is the 4GB Zen a good investment?

This situation reminds me of the time when I was in the grocery to get some jam. There were like over 40 different kinds. I left the store with nothing.

EDIT - I would also appreciate the convenience of recording lectures in school.

EDIT2 - The zen players have flashed based memory. When compared to other mp3 players, the flash memory is sturdier than hard drive based ones.

EDIT3(OMG!) - the 2000 song claim is based on songs at 64kps! Thats no kind of quality right? Most my mp3s are 128 - 320kps (most of them being either 128 or 192kps). SO I'm only looking at about 1000 at 128kps or just over 650 songs at 192kps.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, my brother has a zune I think and its pretty good and stylish. I don't really know about the capacity issue. Maybe the Zune means it can hold 2000 video songs, or that applies to the ipod not the zune. I am not sure really I just woke up and my math isn't at its best of peaks. I would get the Ipod in my opinion and get it off ebay. Its half price off ebay brand new, well when I got it it was about £110 instead of £200+ from a shop. And it was definitley brand new. It would be the best option so you can add more later on.

Luke.

I used to be anti-ipod, but I give up, just get the ipod, it is the best :tongue2:

Yes, flash is sturdier, but as you have found out, it also means less memory. I use a Creative Zen vision with a 30 gig hard drive and a screen for playing video. It is big, but great on a plane or mounted on my dash. One negative - the screen on mine has a poor viewing angle (if you look at it from the side, you can' see it). I don't know if that is fixed on newer versions. A buddy of mine bought a Zune and he's happy with it (and it has a better screen).

And when you start throwing vids on it, the space goes quick...

You should check out the sandisk sansa. I have a 4gb version and I'm happy with it. Its basically an Ipod mini for a lot less money and it has a lot of features like a voice recorder and radio. I've used the recorder a couple of times in class and its pretty sensitive. You need to sit at the front though otherwise you collect noise from people in front of you.

Right now I am using 2.9 gigabytes of space and I have 332 songs on there. Plus it comes with an sd memory slot so I have a 2gb memory card if I ever run out of space.

Edit: The only thing that I don't like about the player is the screen seemed to scratch easily. However I am pretty rough on my equipment so its probably just me.

russ_watters said:
Yes, flash is sturdier, but as you have found out, it also means less memory. I use a Creative Zen vision with a 30 gig hard drive and a screen for playing video. It is big, but great on a plane or mounted on my dash. One negative - the screen on mine has a poor viewing angle (if you look at it from the side, you can' see it). I don't know if that is fixed on newer versions. A buddy of mine bought a Zune and he's happy with it (and it has a better screen).

And when you start throwing vids on it, the space goes quick...

The Zen V 4GB model has an OLED display. They made the claim that is viable from all angles. But the trade off comes with the difficulty of reading it in sunlight.
trajan22 said:
You should check out the sandisk sansa. I have a 4gb version and I'm happy with it. Its basically an Ipod mini for a lot less money and it has a lot of features like a voice recorder and radio. I've used the recorder a couple of times in class and its pretty sensitive. You need to sit at the front though otherwise you collect noise from people in front of you.

Right now I am using 2.9 gigabytes of space and I have 332 songs on there. Plus it comes with an sd memory slot so I have a 2gb memory card if I ever run out of space.

Edit: The only thing that I don't like about the player is the screen seemed to scratch easily. However I am pretty rough on my equipment so its probably just me.
If we compare the Zen 4GB, it's also a lot cheaper that its nano competitor. It looks like sandisk sansa has very sleek and compact design like the zen. I'll have to read more about this one. But from what I can see, its features are comparable to the zen and has all the requirements that I need.
If you don't mind me asking, what's the bit rate of your songs?

A song encoded at 128Kbits (decent quality) is about 1Mb/min

Another thing to consider is battery life, I use mine for listening to audio books when traveling so being able to swap batteries is important.
I just buy which ever of the small 'pill shaped' flash ones are cheapest in the supermarket and use it with a good pair of Sennheiser CX300 headphones.

Whilst doing some research, I found that the Ipod nano 4GB model is about $90 more expensive that the Zen V 4Gb model. Is there an issue of quality here? From what I've heard the nano is a very fragile device. This is in contrast to the Zen, which people have claimed to very clumsy with and it still works. I guess one is just paying for the Apple/Ipod name?

mgb_phys said:
A song encoded at 128Kbits (decent quality) is about 1Mb/min

Damn European metal songs are over 5mins :rofl:

ranger said:
If you don't mind me asking, what's the bit rate of your songs?

Im not entirely sure, how do you find that out?
Heres what I tried anyway. I opened the player then clicked on a song and clicked properties. Then clicked details and it said bit rate was about 3200kbps for most of the songs I checked. But that number seems really high to me.

trajan22 said:
Im not entirely sure, how do you find that out?
Heres what I tried anyway. I opened the player then clicked on a song and clicked properties. Then clicked details and it said bit rate was about 3200kbps for most of the songs I checked. But that number seems really high to me.

Its the encoding quality that mgb_phys was talking about. Perhaps I've interchanged two terms unknowingly. But 3200kbps is pretty high. Are you sure its not 320?

I am an Ipod lover, I absolutely love mine. Itunes is a nice easy software to use to organize your music and the Ipod is a great little player. I have used different players but found that the software wasn't nearly as nice to use and the player itself was missing a lot of features for example I thought the Toshiba gigabeat was just terrible.

Yeah I checked it twice, it says 3200 for the bit rate. I doubt that's the number we are looking for though. But I know I did it higher than 64kbs

I have a Creative MuVo TX FM, which serves me well. It's got 256MB (but you can also get a 512MB model), as well as as sound recorder for your lectures, and an FM radio. And since it's an older model, you could probably get it for fairly cheap. The downside is that it isn't exactly loaded with storage space, so you'll probably have to plug it into your computer every few days to change songs.

Cowon D2

!

http://www.cowonamerica.com/products/cowon/d2

2/8GB versions, expandable up to an additional 16gb. touchscreen, mp3, movie player, radio/voice recorder etc. it has a cool text writer, play flash games, calculator.

Last edited by a moderator:

What factors should I consider when choosing an MP3 player?

When choosing an MP3 player for the first time, there are a few factors to consider. These include storage capacity, battery life, audio quality, user interface, and price. Think about how much music you want to store on your player and make sure it has enough space. Consider how long the battery lasts, especially if you plan on using it for long periods of time. Audio quality is also important, so read reviews and check the specs before making a decision. Finally, make sure the user interface is easy for you to navigate and the price fits within your budget.

What are the main differences between a traditional MP3 player and a smartphone?

The main difference between a traditional MP3 player and a smartphone is their primary function. MP3 players are designed specifically for playing music, while smartphones have a variety of functions including playing music, making calls, and accessing the internet. Another difference is storage capacity – MP3 players typically have more storage space for music than smartphones. Additionally, MP3 players usually have longer battery life when solely used for playing music.

Should I get a touchscreen or button-operated MP3 player?

This ultimately comes down to personal preference. Touchscreen MP3 players tend to have a more modern and sleek design, while button-operated players may be easier to use for those who are not as tech-savvy. Consider which option would be more comfortable for you to navigate and make a decision based on that.

Are there any specific brands or models that are recommended for first-time MP3 player owners?

There are many reputable brands and models of MP3 players on the market, so it ultimately depends on your preferences and budget. Some popular brands include Apple, Sony, and SanDisk. Do some research and read reviews to find a model that suits your needs and has good reviews from other users.

Can I transfer music from my computer to an MP3 player?

Yes, most MP3 players allow you to transfer music from your computer. Some may require specific software or use a specific file format, so be sure to check the instructions or manual for your specific device. You can usually transfer music by connecting your MP3 player to your computer with a USB cable and using software such as iTunes or Windows Media Player.

Back