Which MS and PhD

• Thread starter tmbrwlf730
  • Start date
I didn't get into graduate school this semester so I'm going to have to reapply for spring. This made me question my original plan. I wanted to get a MS in computational science then maybe go back for a physics PhD. I thought the skills for computational science would be very helpful in physics, plus if something happened it seemed like I could get a job in computational science more easily than with a physics degree.

Now I'm wondering if in the long run, say if I finish a PhD, if it matters which is the PhD and which is a Masters. Does anyone think it might? Would it affect job prospects and what I could research? Thanks for your help.

Answers and Replies

eri
If you apply to a PhD program in physics without masters courses in physics, you'll have to take those masters courses and pass a qualifying exam before starting the PhD. You can't use masters courses in a different field to jump into a PhD.

If you earn a PhD and apply for a research job, then yes, it's going to matter very much what you earned a PhD in.

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
I didn't get into graduate school this semester so I'm going to have to reapply for spring. This made me question my original plan. I wanted to get a MS in computational science then maybe go back for a physics PhD. I thought the skills for computational science would be very helpful in physics, plus if something happened it seemed like I could get a job in computational science more easily than with a physics degree.

Now I'm wondering if in the long run, say if I finish a PhD, if it matters which is the PhD and which is a Masters. Does anyone think it might? Would it affect job prospects and what I could research? Thanks for your help.
This sounds like a long-winded path. Why don't you just short-circuit the whole thing and do a PhD in computational physics? That way, you get to do physics, AND, honed your skills in computation, all without having to resort to getting a Masters degree in another field of study!

Zz.

Why don't you just short-circuit the whole thing and do a PhD in computational physics?
I haven't found any PhD programs for computational physics. Only some Masters programs. Do you know of any PhD's?