1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which MS and PhD

1. Apr 11, 2013 #1
    I didn't get into graduate school this semester so I'm going to have to reapply for spring. This made me question my original plan. I wanted to get a MS in computational science then maybe go back for a physics PhD. I thought the skills for computational science would be very helpful in physics, plus if something happened it seemed like I could get a job in computational science more easily than with a physics degree.

Now I'm wondering if in the long run, say if I finish a PhD, if it matters which is the PhD and which is a Masters. Does anyone think it might? Would it affect job prospects and what I could research? Thanks for your help.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2013 #2

eri

If you apply to a PhD program in physics without masters courses in physics, you'll have to take those masters courses and pass a qualifying exam before starting the PhD. You can't use masters courses in a different field to jump into a PhD.

If you earn a PhD and apply for a research job, then yes, it's going to matter very much what you earned a PhD in.

4. Apr 12, 2013 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

This sounds like a long-winded path. Why don't you just short-circuit the whole thing and do a PhD in computational physics? That way, you get to do physics, AND, honed your skills in computation, all without having to resort to getting a Masters degree in another field of study!

Zz.

5. Apr 12, 2013 #4
    I haven't found any PhD programs for computational physics. Only some Masters programs. Do you know of any PhD's?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook