Which new language should i learn?

• Thread starter hover
  • Start date
mgb_phys
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
mgb_phys, I tend to disagree with you there. Most foreigners want to learn English as their second tongue , but not so with American citizens-
It's an English joke, or rather an English stereotype, that just speaking loudly and slowly to the foreigner suddenly enables them to speak english.

ps. The main reason for science students doing a foreign language course tends to be the relative male/female ratio in the respective departments!

marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I, as of right now, know two languages. My first language is English (duh) and the other is German, which i am still learning. I am not the greatest German speaker by no means but i can read and speak some German. German is a neat language to speak and write but i feel it won't be a language that I'll use to often which defeats the point of learning a language. I really don't know to many people that speak German in my area.

I've been pondering this for some time. I want to learn a new language that will be beneficial for me. In my family, every ones Italian and everyone know how to speak at least some Italian. So it makes scenes that Italian would probably be my best choice. My other choice would be Latin. Although Latin isn't really a spoken language anymore, I have heard it does have uses. Many words come from the Latin language. Some which are everyday words and some are scientific. Latin is also, of course, where all romantic languages come from. French , Spanish, Italian. In this sense it could be useful if i learn some Latin and then learn some Italian. I want an opinion, though, from you people. You people are smart. What do you think i should do? ALL comments are welcome.

Thanks for your response!! It means a lot.

Hey hover,
You put this question to us and you got a huge reaction. Lots of people responded with suggestions and observations. So how about some feedback from you?

Do any of the responses speak to what you had in mind? Did anything influence you or change the way you are thinking?

Tell us how we are making sense or nonsense and you might get some more sharply on-target comment.

I will take one more stab at it. I love the Italian language. Your original post sounds like you are pushing Italian as your first choice (with Latin as a distant second). I don't think you could do better than learn Italian

1. you can have fun talking it to all your relatives
2. you can go to Italy and have fun talking it to Italians (they aren't snobs, they really like it when foreigners try talking Italian to them, even halting----not like some countries where they put you off and switch immediately to English)
3. it has a great literature, and lots of good songs.
4. once you are good in Italian it will be easier to pick up other Romance languages if you ever need to.
5. and that's what you say you want to do anyway!

So that's the case for Italian. How about it? Have you made up your mind?

If so, then go rent the DVD for these two films: Fellini's The Clowns (a documentary about the ageold circus clown tradition in Italian and French circus)
and Fellini's Amarcord
and enjoy!

Mandarin.

harborsparrow
Gold Member
If you are going to be a historian and study any European history older than 400 years, by all means learn Latin.