Logic-Based Comparison: Determining the Larger Number between 2^1000 and 500!

• Thread starter barneygumble742
  • Start date
In summary, the mathematical concept behind determining which number is bigger is known as "comparing numbers" and involves using operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. There are several methods to compare two numbers, including using symbols, a number line, or place value. When comparing numbers with different units, they can be converted to the same unit of measurement. Decimals and fractions can also be compared to whole numbers by understanding their place value and converting them to a common form. There is no limit to the size of numbers that can be compared as long as they can be represented in a mathematical form.
barneygumble742
hi...how can i tell which number is larger just from using logic?

for example a question says "which is larger 2^1000 or 500!?" the answer is 500! and the hint is: just compare the 500 factors appearing in each expression. i don't understand the hint but more importantly, I'm just not seeing the logic part of it.

thanks,
barneygumble742

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure you copied this right? Because 2^1000 > 1000^100 > 500.

that's not 500 exclamation point. it's 500 factorial. should i have used a different notation?

make 2^1000 into 500 factors and compare the factors is what the hint is suggesting
2^1000=(2^2)^500. and then compare it to 500 factors of 500!

1. What is the mathematical concept behind determining which number is bigger?

The concept is known as "comparing numbers" and it involves using mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division to determine the relative magnitude of two or more numbers.

2. Is there a specific method to compare two numbers and find which one is bigger?

Yes, there are several methods such as using the greater than (>), less than (<), or equal to (=) symbols, using a number line, or using place value to compare the digits in each number. The method used depends on the context and the numbers being compared.

3. How can I compare two numbers with different units?

In order to compare numbers with different units, you can convert them to the same unit of measurement. For example, if one number is in meters and the other is in centimeters, you can convert the meters to centimeters or vice versa before comparing them.

4. Can decimals and fractions be compared to whole numbers?

Yes, decimals and fractions can be compared to whole numbers. It is important to understand their place value and to convert them to a common form, such as converting fractions to decimals, before comparing them.

5. Is there a limit to the size of numbers that can be compared?

No, there is no limit to the size of numbers that can be compared. As long as the numbers can be represented in a mathematical form, they can be compared using the appropriate methods and operations.