Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which of these developments would be most likely change our lives the most?

1. Colony on another planet/moon

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Cure to cancer

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. Human cloning

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. True AI

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Commercial Nanobots

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  6. Controlled Fusion

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  7. Quantum Teleportation

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Room Temperature Superconductor

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  9. End of the world

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  10. None of the above -> post

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Apr 16, 2003 #1

FZ+

Which of these developments would be most likely change our lives the most? What will be the defining technological moment of this century?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2003 #2
    hmm, you can't really beat The Apocalypse in terms of life changing events. :smile:

4. Apr 16, 2003 #3

FZ+

Wow... we are optimistic aren't we?

5. Apr 16, 2003 #4
    I heard 20010 or 8 they hope to compleat as we Techanchians call a BIg ass laser that is gogint to fuse two hyrdon atoms...or we could just claim we onw the sun thus controllying fusion

6. Apr 24, 2003 #5
    Superconductors!

7. Apr 24, 2003 #6
    Has to be nano-tech for the simple reason that it gives us an entire new tool box to work with.

8. Apr 25, 2003 #7
    Well, I think that superconductors at room temperature is feasable and will happen, it will change all of electronics.

I reckon that Fusion is also a good possibility. As far as I know the "Big Ass Laser" also known as BAL has already been used to make fusion happen, it is just impractical on account of using more energy than you get out, and there being some hassles with how to get more tritium and deuterium in and the products of the fusion out, whilst keeping the whole reaction going.

9. Apr 25, 2003 #8
    I chose commercial nanobots, just think of the uses of such a thing ! (i mean ... almost everything would be possible!)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?