1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which of these fields is a good idea? Question for biologists please

1. Mar 27, 2014 #1
    Hi everyone I applied to some plant biology programs for grad school but I don't think I will get into any of them be because they are quite prestigious and my gre and grades are not amazing.

I'm thinking of getting research experience for a year and applying next year. I'm looking at lab tech jobs for anything biology related.

I originally wanted to do plant science or ecology but a research scientist recently told me that ecology is not a good idea. He says there is very little funding. That got me thinking about which fields are a good idea to get into in biology.

At first I was very repelled at the idea of working in biomedicine but I'm thinking now that I should keep my options open.

The fields I'm thinking of right now are mostly:
    Plant biology (specifically plant chemistry and natural products research)
    Environmental microbiology
    Environmental science/atmospheric science
    Toxicology/air and water quality
    Anything environment related

If I had to work in biomedicine the issues I find interesting are:
    Cancer biology
    Molecular biology of aging
    How nutrition affects epigenetic markers
    Neurodegenerative diseases
    Genetic diseases/genomic medicine
    Gene therapy gene counseling

My major is biochemistry which is typically more useful for biomedical research. I was also passionate about environmental biology though and plants in particular. However I want to know which field is a good idea or not please and thank you.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted