Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which of these Jazz players do you know?

1. Miles Davis

34 vote(s)
    97.1%
  2. Charlie Parker

27 vote(s)
    77.1%
  3. Dizzy Gillespie

24 vote(s)
    68.6%
  4. Thelonious Monk

25 vote(s)
    71.4%
  5. Charles Mingus

16 vote(s)
    45.7%
  6. Charlie Christian

4 vote(s)
    11.4%
  7. Django Reinhardt

11 vote(s)
    31.4%
  8. John Coltrane

30 vote(s)
    85.7%
  9. Benny Goodman

20 vote(s)
    57.1%
  10. Chick Corea

17 vote(s)
    48.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Oct 13, 2005 #1
    I recently went to a Charlie Parker Jazz Festival with a friend. We decided to go spur of the moment when we were at my friend's house, and her dad was very impressed that we even knew who Charlie Parker was. I didn't get that; I thought that besides Miles Davis and Louis Armstrong, Charlie Parker was one of the most famous jazz musicians ever.

So I'm just gonna see which of these jazz musicians people actually know, to get some sort of idea about who's popular and whatnot.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2005 #2
    :0 how did you make a poll?

and louis armstrong isn't up there >:[

4. Oct 13, 2005 #3
    Miles Davis, Theolonius Monk, John Coltrane.

Okay, who can see the pattern? :biggrin:

5. Oct 13, 2005 #4
    No Gene Krupa? great drummer if you're into that.

6. Oct 13, 2005 #5

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Haven't heard of Christian or Reinhardt. Know the others, but haven't listened to any Mingus, only heard of him.

7. Oct 13, 2005 #6
    Davis, Parker, and Coltrane are the only ones I have heard of.

8. Oct 13, 2005 #7

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

I've never heard of Charlie Christian, but am familiar with all the others.

9. Oct 13, 2005 #8
    Speaking of Django Reinhart, you forgot Emmett Ray.

Actually, for the first two-thirds of Sweet and Low Down I was convinced he was a real person. Then I started to have doubts. After the film I had to google to find out Woody Allen had invented him from scratch.

10. Oct 13, 2005 #9
    There's an option at the bottom of the page when you're making a thread that you check off to make a poll. And I thought Louis Armstrong was just too obvious, even people who've never listened to any Jazz know him.

Unfortunately, only 10 options on the poll are allowed, though I've never heard of Gene Krupa.

Christian and Reinhardt are both guitarists, guess maybe they're more guitar-player specific. It's weird, I thought at least that Christian was more well known than Reinhardt...

And you've probabally listened to plenty of Charles Mingus if you've listened to any old bop albums from back in the day, he played alot with the likes of Gillespie and Parker.

11. Oct 13, 2005 #10
    Right now, 100% of people polled know of Miles Davis.

12. Oct 13, 2005 #11
    I like your choice; have CDs from all of them. The greatest one is Coltrane. Genius is the word for him.

13. Oct 13, 2005 #12
    I know Davis, Parker, Gillespie, Monk, Coltrane, and Goodman.
    I wouldn't necessarily know most of them if I heard them though. I only have two jazz cds but I mostly only listen to the jazz stations on the radio so I know the names and know I have heard them before.
    I'm a bit more partial to blues myself.
    I laughed when I brought up Jazz to one of my co-workers and the only musician he could name was Kenny G.:yuck:

14. Oct 13, 2005 #13
    Also forgot Rick Trowles.

And of course you forgot ALL the great female vocalists. Horne, Holliday, Fitzgerald, Vaughan....

And JJ Johnson, who we saw play at the Hollywood bowl shortly after Ella died.

It looks like it was *great* line up!

15. Oct 13, 2005 #14
    Is that so? I've heard a good deal of Coltrane, specifically stuff he did with Parker and Davis, and I never really thought he could be described as "Genius." I would generally describe Parker and Davis as Genius, and when hearing Coltrane next to them, he didn't seem to really live up to their standards. He was definately an amazing player, but I've never heard anything of his that really struck me as particularly Genius. I always thought of him as comprable to someone like Angus Young or Eric Clapton. Those guys are all really proficient musicians and are great players, but not as creative as some of their peers. Davis and Parker seemed more like Page and Hendrix (respectively) to me.

If you don't own it, you should definately own Kind of Blue by Miles Davis. If you only own 1 Jazz CD, in my opinion, it should be Kind of Blue. If you own 2 Jazz CD's, and one of them isn't Kind of Blue, you're really missing out.

16. Oct 13, 2005 #15
    That definitely seems to be the most popular Jazz cd recently. It's a pretty amazing CD too, totally improvised. All the musicians showed up with no idea what to play, were given only brief instructions and then played every song on the first take (1 exception "Flamenco Sketches" took two). Awsome stuff.

17. Oct 13, 2005 #16
    I'm usually not a big fan of women vocalists, but I Ella Fitzgerald - :!!) I love her music to no end.

18. Oct 13, 2005 #17
    That's not how I see Coltrane at all. He went through many stages: in Giant Steps he is the consummate virtuoso, and reaches orgiastic climaxes of sheer intensity. In A Love Supreme, he takes the listener to the limits of experience, but it is a different kind of high, meditative, even philosophical.

What strikes me most about him is that even though I'm feeling the music rip me apart, I can't for the life of me understand what the hell he is doing. And I listen to Schoenberg and Webern for crying out loud! :rofl:

Thelonious Monk is another one I'm starting to really listen to and like. Some of these people are really beyond the pale when it comes to musical genius, and Coltrane is the greatest of them all, in my opinion.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2005
  19. Oct 13, 2005 #18
    Kind of Blue seems to be popular recently? I was under the impresison that since it was released it was held in very high acclaim straight on through the modern day.

20. Oct 14, 2005 #19
    I think you may be confused about what the term "beyond the pale" means. It's a bad thing.

Questions & Answers: Beyond the pale
    Address:http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-pal2.htm

Last edited: Oct 14, 2005
  21. Oct 14, 2005 #20
    wow you are a very lucky indeed!

recently I had the privalege of seeing Enrico Rava in Italy with a VERY talented 4 peice band! It was amazing! ! ! And I only wish I could play music like these people can...

I love Jazz (good Jazz) second to Electronic soul music!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?