Which of these Jazz players do you know?

• Thread starter wasteofo2
  • Start date

Which of these jazz musicians do you know?

• Miles Davis

Votes: 34 97.1%
  • Charlie Parker

Votes: 27 77.1%
  • Dizzy Gillespie

Votes: 24 68.6%
  • Thelonious Monk

Votes: 25 71.4%
  • Charles Mingus

Votes: 16 45.7%
  • Charlie Christian

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Django Reinhardt

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • John Coltrane

Votes: 30 85.7%
  • Benny Goodman

Votes: 20 57.1%
  • Chick Corea

Votes: 17 48.6%

• Total voters
wasteofo2 said:
Eh, I thought the same thing while I was going there, but when I got there, it wasn't particularaly good. The first act I saw when I got there was this 20 or so piece band that was being conducted in no particularaly creative manner. How antithetical can you get? If you're gonna take the improvisation out of bebop, you should at least make sure it's masterfully conducted, but that wasn't the case with this act.

Shame, Bebop is great when done right... Ever heard of Squarepusher? Bebop gone nuts, and I love it :approve:

Wasteofo2 said:
If you don't own it, you should definately own Kind of Blue by Miles Davis. If you only own 1 Jazz CD, in my opinion, it should be Kind of Blue. If you own 2 Jazz CD's, and one of them isn't Kind of Blue, you're really missing out.
I remembered you mentioning this when I was in the music store the other day and picked it up. Thank you for the recomendation, it's quite good.

Ouabache
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I have heard of all of them and enjoy their music too. I learned more about them from The History of Jazz, documentary by Ken Burns. The video goes into some detail about each of the jazz artists you mentioned. Charlie Christian became famous by teaming up with Benny Goodman in his small combo. Before Charlie, electric guitar was not considered a serious jazz instrument.
I found a quote that describes Charlie's first experience in Goodman's Group"
(Charlie) soon won a reputation as a guitarist of rare talent and was heard by legendary jazz producer and talent scout John Hammond in 1939. Thinking that Christian would be an ideal addition to Benny Goodman's small jazz groups, Hammond arranged in that year for a meeting between Christian and Goodman. Goodman, however, was reluctant to hire a young, unknown musician playing an obscure electric instrument and paid scant attention to Christian's audition, not even allowing the guitarist time to plug in his amplifier. The same night, Hammond surreptitiously maneuvered Christian onstage during a Goodman performance; angered, Goodman launched into “Rose Room,” a demanding number he thought the young guitar player would either not know or have trouble following. Christian was instead a sensation, breezing through a difficult and lengthy solo. This overwhelming tour de force compelled Goodman to hire Christian on the spot as a permanent member of his small group.
ref

Last edited: