1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which of these physics courses would complement an electrical engineering degree?

1. Oct 25, 2014 #1
    I'm a sophomore electrical engineering student, and I'm highly considering minoring in physics. I'm currently in Electricity and Magnetism. The minor is not entirely for professional purposes, though if it helps, then that's great, but it's also something I'd like to do for my own personal enrichment. To obtain a minor, I'll need to take, in addition to physics I and II, physics III (modern physics), and at least two of the following courses:

MECHANICS. Application of scalar and vector fields to problems in classical mechanics and
    mechanical waves.
    ELECTROMAGNETIC THEORY. Application of scalar and vector fields to problems in
    electrostatics, magnetostatics and electromagnetic waves. (Prereq is mechanics, so taking these two would satisfy the requirements)
    OPTICS. Interference, diffraction, polarization, lasers.
    SOLID STATE PHYSICS. Crystal structure, crystal diffraction, lattice vibrations, electrons
    in metals and semiconductors, other physical phenomena in solids.
    QUANTUM MECHANICS. Schroedinger Theory applied to simple and multiparticle
    systems, perturbation and collision theories.
    ADVANCED ELECTROMAGNETIC THEORY. Maxwell’s equations, electromagnetic
    waves, and the Special Theory of Relativity (prereq is electromagnetic theory. The would just be an extra course not required for the minor).

I like the idea of taking quantum mechanics, but I'd like to know that it may be applicable to some area of electrical engineering. It's my understanding that solid state physics may be useful for certain areas of electrical engineering, so I'd like some feedback on that. I have no current preferences for areas of electrical engineering. I'd just like some background on if any of these classes would complement my major, and in what areas they'd be useful.

Thanks all

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2014 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

I'd say all of them would have relevance to an electrical engineer. Consider the current technologies like mechatronics, robotics, or nanotechnology, these courses would give you a leg up in each one.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook