Which one is the best textbook for self-studying differential equations?

• Thread starter dijkarte
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Textbooks
In summary, after considering various textbooks and reviews, I have decided that Differential Equations with Boundary-Value Problems by Dennis G. Zill is the best option for my self-studying of differential equations. This book is highly recommended for its solid and rigorous approach, as well as its use of figures and proofs to aid in understanding. While there may be some mixed reviews, I feel confident in choosing this book for my studies.
dijkarte
I'm considering self-studying differential equations, ordinary and partials, and for this I need a good book that teaches. I checked some universities syllabus and found that the most recommended texts are these:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0321747747/?tag=pfamazon01-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0470458364/?tag=pfamazon01-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0470383348/?tag=pfamazon01-20

However I found this one with an excellent review:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0495383163/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Considering the high price of these texts, I need to pick one that's really excellent, no missing theories, or proofs, and touches as well the qualitative methods, with nice illustrations and figures of course.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

I'd say you go to a library (of any nearby university) and check them out for yourself. Those are, as you say, pretty standard texts and won't be difficult to find. Have a look at them first, decide which one you like best, and then buy if you have to.

In my opinion, the best of those you mentioned is Boyce - diPrima. I also like Coddington - Carlson

Yes I did already, and based on my very little knowledge of DEs, I found the Zill and Cullen is quite interesting with all these graphs and illustrations. However I'm not sure how it compares to others in terms of mathematical rigor.

Zill is the least rigorous ODE book I've experienced but you don't need a lot of rigor for a LD ODE course, particularly if you want to be applied (though you should learn about existence and uniqueness of solutions). I've said it many times but I like Ross, Differential Equations.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471032948/?tag=pfamazon01-20

If your library has this one, I'd recommend giving it a shot.

Yeah this is very concerning to me, rigorous! I don't want to pay a lot for a text that it's not complete. I prefer a pure mathematical text, but I don't know how to measure rigorous when it comes to DEs. What about the Dover's ODE?

Define rigor in DE world? :)

The books you posted are mostly for applied/computational differential equations courses.

Ordinary Differential Equations by Garrett Birkhoff and Gian-Carlo Rota is a rigorous textbook. I recommend a background in calculus at the level of Apostol's Calculus or Spivak's Calculus. Linear Algebra would also be beneficial, but it's not required.

Thanks. But ~400 pages for ~$233? And old text?

And 2.5 out of 5 stars?

Sorry this is overpriced I guess.

Yup I will go with this one first. Thanks.

dijkarte said:
Thanks. But ~400 pages for ~$233? And old text?

Sellers on sites like Amazon and AbeBooks usually list it for much less. I picked up a used copy for $10.
dijkarte said:
And 2.5 out of 5 stars?

Sorry this is overpriced I guess.

Yes, it seems as though some readers were not happy with some typos and mistakes toward the end of the book. They shouldn't be a problem to an active reader though. One of the reviews on Amazon sums it up perfectly.

I hope that Tenenbaum and Pollard's book works for you. It's not rigorous, but it's pretty complete. :)

I've not ordered it yet, but how it differs from the Diprima or Nagle's in terms of math rigor?
What I would benefit from buying the more expensive texts in learning DEs?

Thanks.

dijkarte said:
I've not ordered it yet, but how it differs from the Diprima or Nagle's in terms of math rigor?
What I would benefit from buying the more expensive texts in learning DEs?

Thanks.

I have never used Nagle, but I have used Birkhoff & Rota, Zill, Boyce & DiPrima, Edwards & Penney, and Tenanbaum & Pollard (yes, I have a lot of differential equations textbooks :biggrin:).

What parts of differential equations interests you? Are you interested in the theory? applications? modeling? And what is your current mathematical background?

Interested in both theory, and applications in general, with no specific engineering or science area.

I took Calculus courses up to multidimensional and vector calculus. I took a linear algebra and numerical analysis courses.

Still trying to find a textbook?

That textbook looks similar to the other standard introductory differential equation textbooks: Elementary Differential Equations and Boundary Value Problems by Boyce & DiPrima or Elementary Differential Equations with Boundary Value Problems by Edwards & Penney. Looking back at your course experience, I think that one of those two textbooks would be suitable. You can find copies of previous editions on sites like Amazon or AbeBooks for about $10. The only real difference between the current edition and the most previous edition is a few more exercises and one or two applications.

[URL="https://www.amazon.com/dp/048667620X/?tag=pfamazon01-20 - Farlow - $10 (USD)
[/URL]
This book is pretty useful at getting you started in PDE's, introducing the different classifications, and how to approach them. It is written for beginners to PDE's, and so is very easy to read compared to most math books, and is short so it doesn't take much time to read. After that, you can pick up a more advanced text. It's also extremely cheap and makes a decent reference. In a pinch, you could probably read most of this painlessly without studying ODE's first (probably not the best idea, though).

ODE's - Arnold - $48
This book is extremely rigorous, and not your average DE book - it emphasizes geometric concepts in DE theory. If you are very strong with calc and linear algebra, this is a great book. Topology/Abstract Algebra would help, but you can get by with looking up things as you go. If you've just taken the first 1 or 2 calc courses in ugrad, you will probably want to hold off on this for a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still cannot decide...some reviews of the books make me hesitate. :(

I don't mind paying a lot for a book which is solid and rigorous, with a lot of theories, figures, and proofs.

Differential Equations with Boundary-Value Problems by Dennis G. Zill looks promising...

I had the chance to review it and it's full of figures and very rigorous and colorful.

Thanks for advice anyway.

I used Zill for my intro to DE's course - it was an older version of this one. If the two are anything alike, I don't think it is what you are looking for.

Now I changed my mind again...so what am I looking for? I don't know really.

Lets say I bought them all, which parts of which books to use for which subjects so that I have rigorous explanation and proofs on each topic?

How much experience do you have with theorems and proofs?

Have you worked through Spivak's Calculus or Apostol's Calculus?

IMHO, good enough to understand any decent text :)

Spivak's yes...but not Apostol's.

But at the same time I want something modern, not outdated text in style and content.

I don't think you need to go through Apostol's calculus if you've already been through spivak's book. Stop wasting time and move on to the more interesting realms of math!

Yeah my course I assigned to myself is DE :D, which is the one I missed.

Library.

Hmmm what about eLibrary? :D

I'll second Arnold's book: if you know linear algebra and want a rigorous (and very geometric) treatment, this is definitely the best.

After all searching and reading reviews...I decided to get The Dover's ODE book, which I found very gentle on my brain :D as novice to the subject.

Thanks for all!

intwo said:
The books you posted are mostly for applied/computational differential equations courses.

Ordinary Differential Equations by Garrett Birkhoff and Gian-Carlo Rota is a rigorous textbook. I recommend a background in calculus at the level of Apostol's Calculus or Spivak's Calculus. Linear Algebra would also be beneficial, but it's not required.

Sorry to bump this thread.

How much more rigorous is this in relation to Ross?

I used a lot of different DE books when I took the course. What I found was: the 2 Schaum's on this subject were really bad, the book by Nagle is ok as a recipe book for anything you'd cover in a semester course (and it sells for 4-5$ shipped on amazon used) but it's a bit of a brick.

The one by Tenenbaum has the best explanations I've seen and has methods I haven't seen anywhere else, I would buy that one if you typically keep your textbooks.

+1 for for Tenenbaum & Pollard. I bought it as a more advanced reference for a course I am taking (which uses Zill - total garbage) and I think it is a fantastic book. Very well written. And its a dover!

1. What is the best textbook for self-studying differential equations?

The best textbook for self-studying differential equations will depend on your individual learning style and needs. It's important to research and compare different textbooks to find one that is most suitable for you.

2. What factors should I consider when choosing a textbook for self-studying differential equations?

Some factors to consider when choosing a textbook for self-studying differential equations include the level of difficulty, the author's teaching style, the clarity of explanations and examples, and the availability of practice problems and solutions.

3. Are there any recommended textbooks for self-studying differential equations?

There are many textbooks that are commonly used for self-studying differential equations, such as "Differential Equations and Their Applications" by Martin Braun, "Elementary Differential Equations" by William E. Boyce and Richard C. DiPrima, and "A First Course in Differential Equations" by Dennis G. Zill. However, it's important to choose a textbook that best fits your learning style and needs.

4. Is it necessary to have a textbook for self-studying differential equations?

While having a textbook can be helpful for self-studying differential equations, it is not always necessary. There are many online resources, such as lectures, tutorials, and practice problems, that can also aid in learning differential equations.

5. Can I use multiple textbooks for self-studying differential equations?

Yes, it is possible to use multiple textbooks for self-studying differential equations. In fact, using multiple resources can provide a more well-rounded understanding of the subject. However, it's important to make sure the textbooks cover similar topics and use consistent notation to avoid confusion.