• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Which one? (DE textbooks)

• Thread starter dijkarte
  • Start date
Library.

Hmmm what about eLibrary? :D

I'll second Arnold's book: if you know linear algebra and want a rigorous (and very geometric) treatment, this is definitely the best.

After all searching and reading reviews...I decided to get The Dover's ODE book, which I found very gentle on my brain :D as novice to the subject.

Thanks for all!

The books you posted are mostly for applied/computational differential equations courses.

Ordinary Differential Equations by Garrett Birkhoff and Gian-Carlo Rota is a rigorous textbook. I recommend a background in calculus at the level of Apostol's Calculus or Spivak's Calculus. Linear Algebra would also be beneficial, but it's not required.
Sorry to bump this thread.

How much more rigorous is this in relation to Ross?

I used a lot of different DE books when I took the course. What I found was: the 2 Schaum's on this subject were really bad, the book by Nagle is ok as a recipe book for anything you'd cover in a semester course (and it sells for 4-5$ shipped on amazon used) but it's a bit of a brick.

The one by Tenenbaum has the best explanations I've seen and has methods I haven't seen anywhere else, I would buy that one if you typically keep your textbooks.

+1 for for Tenenbaum & Pollard. I bought it as a more advanced reference for a course I am taking (which uses Zill - total garbage) and I think it is a fantastic book. Very well written. And its a dover!