University Comparison: Waterloo vs. UIUC for Electrical Engineering

• Thread starter Naeem
  • Start date
  • Tags
    School
In summary, the conversation revolves around a question of which university, University of Waterloo in Canada or UIUC, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign in the USA, is better for studying Electrical Engineering. The discussion includes factors such as rankings, value, quality of instruction, and course offerings. The consensus is that both universities have strong EE programs, with UIUC being highly ranked and competitive, while University of Waterloo offers a variety of electives at the undergraduate level. The conversation also mentions that UIUC used to be ranked number two in the country for EE, but its current ranking is unknown. However, both universities are highly regarded for their EE programs.
Naeem
Hi, All

My question , is :

Is University of Waterloo, in Canada or UIUC , University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, IL USA , better for Electrical Engineering. ( In terms of ranking and value , quality of instruction etc. etc. )

Comments, or critcisms are welcome!

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure about the rankings for electrical engineering at UIUC but I know for a fact they are ranked near with MIT for engineering in general. It's a very competitive school. Many of the people from my hs class would apply under a different college program (ex. UIUC's libertal arts program) then transfer later to the program of their choice.

I have never been to any of those schools so I compare them by the course offerings, I must say University of Waterloo has a good EE program. From what I have seen you get to do a lot of electives which other schools do at the masters level.

MAC>UW at ElecEng hehe. If youwere going for Compsci then it would be the other way.

A few years ago when I was thinking about going into EE, UIUC was ranked number two (in the US News ranking) right behing MIT, if I remember correctly. They aren't anymore, but I can only see the top three schools on their website without paying anything, so I don't know where they are right now. From what I hear, it's still one of the best programs in the country.

neurocomp2003 said:
MAC>UW at ElecEng hehe. If youwere going for Compsci then it would be the other way.

Umm, there's no need to post giberish on this forum. I don't know about the school in the states you are speaking of but if you go to U of Waterloo for EE, you will get a top notch education.

Regards,

Nenad

1. What criteria should I use to determine if a school is good?

The criteria for determining a good school can vary depending on personal preferences, but some common factors to consider include academic performance, graduation rates, student-teacher ratio, extracurricular opportunities, and overall school culture.

2. How can I find out about a school's academic performance?

You can research a school's academic performance by looking at standardized test scores, graduation rates, and college acceptance rates. You can also check for any awards or recognition the school may have received for academic achievements.

3. What is the importance of a school's student-teacher ratio?

A school's student-teacher ratio is important because it can affect the quality of education students receive. A lower ratio typically means students will receive more individualized attention and support from their teachers, which can lead to better academic outcomes.

4. How can I learn about a school's extracurricular opportunities?

You can learn about a school's extracurricular opportunities by researching their website, attending open houses or information sessions, and speaking with current students or parents. You can also look for any clubs, sports teams, or other activities the school offers.

5. Are there any red flags to watch out for when evaluating a school?

Some potential red flags to watch out for when evaluating a school include consistently low academic performance, high teacher turnover rates, and a lack of extracurricular opportunities. It's also important to consider the school's location and facilities, as well as the overall school culture and community.