What is the impact of register count on processor performance and cost?

• Thread starter Rizz84
  • Start date
In summary, the best processor in terms of speed, size, and cost depends on its functionality and architecture. Generally, a 64-bit processor will be faster, have a larger size, and a higher cost compared to a 16-bit processor. However, the number of registers does not necessarily determine the processor's speed. The TMS99 microprocessor from the 1970s allowed for assigning any memory location as a register, making it efficient for multitasking and context switching. Ultimately, the overall architecture and arrangement of components play a significant role in determining the best processor. The cost of the processor is usually insignificant compared to software cost.
Rizz84
Hello Friends,
I wana ask that if two processors Processor01 and Processor02 have same number of components but Processor01 had 16 registers on the other hand Processor02 has 64 registers. Which processor is best in terms of its speed, size and cost?

Take Care

Engineering news on Phys.org
Rizz84 said:
Hello Friends,
I wana ask that if two processors Processor01 and Processor02 have same number of components but Processor01 had 16 registers on the other hand Processor02 has 64 registers. Which processor is best in terms of its speed, size and cost?

Take Care

poorly defined question

best for what?

what FUNCTIONALITY differences are there?

Numerous other pertinent questions.

VERY vague question

get a TI99 TMS99 has as many registers as you tell it it has.

jim hardy said:
get a TI99 TMS99 has as many registers as you tell it it has.

Uh ... in what way is this an answer to the OP's question?

Assuming you wanted to know, which is better between a 16-bit processor and a 64-bit processor, 64-bit will be faster, have larger size and higher cost.

N.B.: An N-bit processor does not necessarily mean it has N registers. It means almost all of its registers have width of N-bits (in other words can store N-bit data).

here would be an answer from 1970's .

a large number of registers is a covenience to the programmer.
it eases multitasking because in a context switch one must preserve the stack so he can return to the interrupted process.

so in a realtime(interrupt driven) environment one may realize a benefit from a lot of registers. less CPU time wasted storing and retrieving stacks and less stack overflow crashes.

some machines can use ANY memory location as a register.
some have only one set of registers.
i liked the old TMS99 micro bcause you assign any memory location as the beginning of the stack and it operates from there. in the hands of a good programmer it excelled at context switching.

i think your question is about machine architecture, and it's analogous to a building: more bricks isn't necessarily better. It's how are they arranged?

cost of the processor is probably trivial compared to software cost.

to you newer guys - is my basic premise still true?

i'm sure i don't even have the vocabulary to discuss the new stuff.

[ smart RS232 ports? What's next ! ]

Last edited:

1. Which one is better: qualitative or quantitative research?

The answer depends on the research question and the type of data needed. Qualitative research is useful for exploring complex topics and understanding the context, while quantitative research is better for measuring and analyzing numerical data.

2. Which one is better: primary or secondary research?

Again, it depends on the research question and the available resources. Primary research involves collecting new data directly from the source, while secondary research uses existing data. Primary research is more time-consuming and expensive, but can provide more accurate and specific results.

3. Which one is better: correlation or causation?

Both are important in research, but they serve different purposes. Correlation shows a relationship between two variables, while causation explains the cause and effect between them. It is important to establish causation through rigorous research methods to make reliable conclusions.

4. Which one is better: qualitative or quantitative data analysis?

The type of data analysis depends on the type of data and research question. Qualitative data analysis involves interpreting and making sense of non-numerical data, while quantitative data analysis uses statistical methods to analyze numerical data. Both approaches have their strengths and are often used together in research.

5. Which one is better: a large or small sample size?

The size of the sample depends on the research question and the population being studied. A larger sample size can provide more representative and generalizable results, but it also requires more resources and time. A smaller sample size can still provide valuable insights, but the results may not be as reliable and generalizable.