1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Which one is impossible?

1. Jun 13, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Which of the following statements are IMPOSSIBLE? Choose all that apply.

___A perfectly functioning hydraulic had a pressure of 36 Pa in the fluid near the small piston and a pressure of 37 Pa in the fluid near the big piston.
    ___A 35 L container displaced 42 L of orange juice when partially submerged.
    ___A substance underwent melting during which its temperature remained constant at 33 °C.
    ___A 37 N brick was fully submerged in water. The buoyant force on the brick was 48 N. As a direct result, the brick was neutrally buoyant.
    ___Last Friday, the Sun heated the Moon via convection.
    ___The temperature inside a vacuum chamber was measured to be 3 °C.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Based on what I have learned this is my attempt:

_x__A perfectly functioning hydraulic had a pressure of 36 Pa in the fluid near the small piston and a pressure of 37 Pa in the fluid near the big piston.
    _x__A 35 L container displaced 42 L of orange juice when partially submerged.
    ___A substance underwent melting during which its temperature remained constant at 33 °C.
    _x__A 37 N brick was fully submerged in water. The buoyant force on the brick was 48 N. As a direct result, the brick was neutrally buoyant.
    _x__Last Friday, the Sun heated the Moon via convection.
    ___The temperature inside a vacuum chamber was measured to be 3 °C.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2010 #2
    Try defining temperature in a perfect vacuum.

4. Jun 13, 2010 #3

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So what is your question? Can you provide reasoning why the ones you marked are impossible?

5. Jun 13, 2010 #4

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

A vacuum chamber does not necessarily hold a perfect vacuum, in fact it never does, not to mention black body radiation.

6. Jun 13, 2010 #5
    You are of course right. I'm too used to idealized questions. :)

7. Jun 14, 2010 #6
    well a vacuum chamber has no air,
    so would it be 0 K meaning their is no motion in the particles...

so the vacuum one would be impossible too?

My other question is:
    is this possible:
    A substance underwent melting during which its temperature remained constant at 33 °C

8. Jun 14, 2010 #7

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I know plenty of vacuum chambers that have air in them. The statement of the question is
    "The temperature inside a vacuum chamber was measured to be 3 °C." There is no mention whether there is gas in it or not. Why do you assume that it contains a perfect vacuum which doesn't even exist?
    What happens to the temperature of a substance when it undergoes a phase transition from solid to liquid? Think of melting ice.

9. Jun 14, 2010 #8
    I asked my teacher about a vacuum chamber today and he said that it contains no air

and thanks for the other one I understand it now

10. Jun 14, 2010 #9

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK. Assume that the vacuum chamber has not even a single molecule of air. You stick a mercury thermometer in it. Originally the thermometer reads 3 oC. Will the mercury column drop and indicate a lower temperaure?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook