Which is True in an Expanded Aneurysm: 1-6?

• Thread starter Ekh
  • Start date
In summary, in an aneurysm, the cross-sectional area of a vessel expands, leading to laminar flow of non-viscous and incompressible blood. In the expanded segment, compared to the normal vessel, the pressure is lower. This can be deduced from the fact that the flow is higher and the velocity is higher, as stated in options 1 and 2, and the fact that the blood is assumed to be incompressible, ruling out option 5. Option 6 is also not applicable as there is a change in flow and velocity. Therefore, the correct answer is option 4.
Ekh

Homework Statement

In an aneurysm, the cross-sectional area of a vessel expands. With the approximation that blood is non-viscous and incompressible, and that you have laminar flow, which one of the following is true in the expanded segment, compared to the normal vessel?
1.The flow is higher
2.The velocity is higher
3.The velocity is the same
4.The pressure is lower
5.The density of the blood increases
6.None of the above

I have just two tries for this question! Can you help please?? :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org

What do you think? I'll tell you that it can't be 5 because the blood is assumed to be incompressible.

I think its the fourth answer, since I is higher, then the pressure is lower !

Is there any answer? I need help with this !

1. What is an expanded aneurysm?

An expanded aneurysm is a bulge or weak spot in the wall of a blood vessel that has increased in size due to weakening of the vessel wall.

2. How is an expanded aneurysm diagnosed?

An expanded aneurysm can be diagnosed through imaging tests such as ultrasound, CT scan, or MRI. These tests can show the location, size, and shape of the aneurysm.

3. What are the symptoms of an expanded aneurysm?

An expanded aneurysm may not cause any symptoms until it ruptures, which can lead to life-threatening complications. However, some people may experience symptoms such as pain or tenderness in the affected area, a pulsating sensation, or symptoms related to the area of the body where the aneurysm is located.

4. What are the treatment options for an expanded aneurysm?

The treatment for an expanded aneurysm depends on its size, location, and risk of rupture. Options may include monitoring the aneurysm, medication to lower blood pressure and reduce the risk of rupture, or surgery to repair or remove the aneurysm.

5. What are the potential risks of an expanded aneurysm?

The main risk of an expanded aneurysm is rupture, which can cause severe internal bleeding and potentially be life-threatening. Other complications may include blood clots, nerve damage, or tissue damage due to decreased blood flow.