1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which option is correct

1. Aug 12, 2014 #1
    which option is correct
    My Question is: The Blasius Equation, http://postimg.org/image/svgz5fpin is a

A) Second Order Nonlinear Ordinary differential equation
    B) Third Order Nonlinear Ordinary differential equation
    C) Third Order linear Ordinary differential equation
    D) Mixed Order Nonlinear Ordinary differential Equation.
    Explain Briefly with your answer.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2014 #2
    i Definitely know that There is no such thing as a mixed order DE.
    but i am asking in out of three options, which is the correct option for my question.

4. Aug 12, 2014 #3

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There's basically just 2 concepts being asked. First, the order of a differential equation. And second whether a differential equation is linear or non-linear. Do you know what these concepts are, and how they are defined?

5. Aug 12, 2014 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It's a little bit hard to read your image but I think that first derivative is third order. So what are your ideas on this? Do you know what the order of a differential equation is? Do you know how to determine whether a differential equation is linear or not?

(It is possible for a partial differential equation to be of "mixed order" but not an ordinary differential equation.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook