Finding the Perfect Oscilloscope: A Guide for Hobbyists and Diagnostics

In summary, the Hameg HM 203-5 dual trace scope is a cheap option that can be used for automotive and mains/power supply type work as well as battery-powered electronics.
Guineafowl
Hi all,

I'm looking for an oscilloscope for hobby/diagnostic use. I'd like it to be useful for automotive and mains/power supply type stuff as well as battery-powered electronics. What would you recommend? It would have to be a used one as budget is tight.

I've seen some simple 'build your own' kits on eBay, but these only go to 50V and seem a bit basic. Is there a better one of these about, or should I go for a CRT one?

Cheers

Engineering news on Phys.org
You usually choose and instrument based on what you want to do with it. In this case what type of signal do you want to measure. Main considerations are digital or analog signal size, frequency response, rise time, repetition rate, sample rate, trigger characteristics. For voltages higher than your instrument can handle you can get attenuation probes that will reduce the size of the signal to that which your scope can handle.

I'm just strarting out with this, but automotive signals tend to be 0-5 or 0-12 V square wave, PWM signals. You can also measure alternator output and ripple to check for bad rectifiers etc.

As for mains stuff, our supply is 230V AC RMS @ 50 Hz. Also useful would be the ability to probe the guts of switch mode power supplies, in the ?kHz range. Similarly, I have an IGBT-based inverter welder that may need troubleshooting.

Battery powered stuff would fit into the above, I suppose. I'm building an electric fencing energiser based on a 555 timer so again a 0-12v square wave and duty cycle measurement would be needed.

Does this help?

I don't know your budget. but for about $100 - $200 there are some off the shelf items. I suppose if I where looking for a scope I would try a pocket scope like a DSO Nano or the one that uses a PC or laptop something like a PicoScope2000 . The pocket scope may not be too good for fast switching signals and is only one channel and is probably useful for frequencies to 100 KHz while the basic PC scope has two channel and might be useful to 10 MHz. Two channels would allow you to compare two signals and a higher frequency response and would be better for fast switching signals. There are some positive reviews for the DSO Nano on the web with some seeing it useful for automotive work.

Many thanks for your replies. I've found a used Hameg HM 203-5 dual trace scope. Not exactly perfect for my purposes but not a bad deal for £30. Since it's a bit bulky for automotive use I'll see if there's a UK supplier for the DSO Nano you mention. There's room in the budget for a portable scope still! I'll soon have a collection...

It's size is that of the usual scopes that service techs were carrying around. 20 years ago. Try it out it may be what you need. You can easily put it on the fender of your car.

1. What factors should I consider when choosing an oscilloscope?

When buying an oscilloscope, you should consider the bandwidth, sample rate, memory depth, number of channels, and price. The bandwidth determines the highest frequency signal that can be accurately measured, while the sample rate determines the number of samples per second. The memory depth determines the amount of data that can be stored and analyzed. The number of channels determines the number of signals that can be measured simultaneously. Finally, the price should be considered based on your budget and the features you need.

2. Should I prioritize analog or digital oscilloscopes?

This depends on your specific needs and preferences. Analog oscilloscopes are generally less expensive and have a simpler user interface, but they do not have advanced features like waveform storage and automatic measurements. Digital oscilloscopes, on the other hand, have more advanced features but are more expensive. If you are a beginner or need a simple oscilloscope for basic measurements, an analog oscilloscope may be sufficient. However, for more complex measurements and analysis, a digital oscilloscope would be more suitable.

3. What is the difference between a benchtop and handheld oscilloscope?

Benchtop oscilloscopes are larger and more powerful, with higher bandwidth and sample rates, and more advanced features. They are designed for use in a laboratory or workbench setting. Handheld oscilloscopes, on the other hand, are smaller and more portable, making them suitable for on-the-go measurements. They have lower bandwidth and sample rates and fewer features compared to benchtop oscilloscopes. Consider your intended use and required features when deciding between the two types.

4. Do I need a PC-based oscilloscope or a standalone one?

This depends on your specific needs and preferences. PC-based oscilloscopes are generally less expensive and have a larger display and more advanced features. They also allow for remote control and data storage on a computer. Standalone oscilloscopes, on the other hand, are more expensive but offer better portability and can be used without a computer. Consider your budget, required features, and intended use when deciding between the two types.

5. Can I upgrade my oscilloscope in the future?

Some oscilloscopes offer upgrade options, such as increasing the bandwidth or adding more channels. However, this depends on the specific model and manufacturer. Before purchasing an oscilloscope, make sure to research the upgrade options available and consider if they align with your future needs. Keep in mind that upgrading an oscilloscope may be more expensive than initially purchasing a higher-end model.