Which oxidation state should I assume when balancing equations?

In summary, there are several factors that can determine the oxidation state of an element in a compound. The most common oxidation states listed in a periodic table are a good starting point, but factors such as electronegativity, ionic radii, and thermodynamic considerations can also play a role. For example, in the case of magnesium and nitrogen, magnesium tends to have a +2 oxidation state while nitrogen can have either a -3 or +5 state. The most stable configuration of the compound can also help determine the oxidation state. Overall, it is important to consider multiple factors when determining the oxidation state of an element in a compound.
wasteofo2
When dealing with an equation in which you combine 2 elements that have multiple oxidation states, let's say Magnesium and Nitrogen, which oxidation states do you assume you're working with? I know that in the instance of Magnesium and Nitrogen, it would have to be one of Nitrogen's negative oxidation states, and Magnesium would be +2, but aside from that, I'm not sure. Should you just assume it's the first listed on the periodic table for Nitrogen, or should I assume -2?

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Nitrogen in nitrides tends to have a valence -3 as in [tex]Mg_3 N_2[/tex].

Way back when, I remember looking at electronegativities, ionic radii, and thermodynamic considerations like heat of formation. Now its just easier to look up a compound in a table or database.

Transitional metals can be difficult because elements like Mo have valence states like (+2, +3, +4, +5, +6) and Mn has valence states of (+1 to +7, although +1 and +5 are uncommon). Which state depends on the anionic species.

Are you strictly looking at binary compounds.

I think Chem_tr is the one to answer this question.

There are several things that determine the oxidation state that is right. In a crystalline solid, the neighbourhood of the atom often plays the most important role in determining the oxidation state. It's useful to know what are the most common oxidation states for the multivalent elements.

In the case of nitrogen, there is absolutely no reason for you to assume that it is -2 (did you pick this because Mg is +2 ?). More often than not, the oxidation state mentioned in a periodic table as the most common one will work. For nitrogen, the -3 and +5 states are the most common. Between these two, it's not hard to decide which state it takes in which compounds. It will have a positive oxidation state in a binary compound that involves a more electronegative element and a negative oxidation state if the other element is less electronegative.

In cases where the electronegativities are similar (or in crystalline solids) there is often more than one compound that may be formed, particularly if one of the elements is strongly multivalent. (eg : oxides of nitrogen, inter-halogen compounds, etc.)

A good way to determine the most likely oxidation state is by trying to draw the molecular (Lewis or other such type) structure, and picking the most stable configuration...but this may be a little advanced.

And, as astronuc mentioned, magnesium nitride is Mg(3)N(2).

Thanks alot, I did choose -2 because Mg is +2.

Hello

As Gokul said, electronegativity is a principal option for decision. In many cases you can easily deduce for a metal and ametal, and even inter-ametallic compounds. You should first use electronegativity, I suppose.

In magnesium and nitrogen, if they form a compound, magnesium tends to give away electrons, and nitrogen does the opposite, both reach the most stable electronic orientation as in a noble gas.

1. What is an oxidation state?

An oxidation state, also known as oxidation number, is a number assigned to an atom in a chemical compound that indicates the number of electrons lost or gained by the atom in order to form a stable compound.

2. How do I determine the oxidation state of an atom?

The oxidation state of an atom is determined by a set of rules that take into account the electronegativity and number of valence electrons of the atom. These rules can vary depending on the type of compound and the elements involved.

3. Why is it important to consider the oxidation state when balancing equations?

The oxidation state is crucial when balancing equations because it helps to keep track of the electrons involved in a chemical reaction. By ensuring that the total oxidation state of the reactants and products is equal, we can accurately represent the transfer of electrons in the reaction.

4. What happens if I assume the wrong oxidation state when balancing equations?

If the wrong oxidation state is assumed, the equation will not balance correctly. This can lead to incorrect results and may also make it difficult to understand the underlying chemical process that is taking place in the reaction.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tips for determining the oxidation state?

Yes, there are some shortcuts and tips that can help in determining the oxidation state of an atom. These include memorizing common oxidation states of elements, using the overall charge of the compound, and balancing the charges of polyatomic ions.