1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which path should I choose?

1. nuclear physicist

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. theoretical physicist

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Aug 25, 2009 #1
    which path should I choose??

what career should I choose? a theoretical physicist or a nuclear physicist? I want one that pays good, but mainly which one would be more exciting, I like both of them very much, I wouldn't mind either, just the one that pays a good salary, and is the most exciting. Thanks!:biggrin:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2009 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: which path should I choose??

If you are all so interested in money, open a business or go to law school. Few physicists get rich.

4. Aug 25, 2009 #3

lol, I think perhaps you should decide via a more personal method. Talk to your professors/academic advisers about what career you might want to pursue. And depending on what level of education your at, there might be quite a bit of time to decide.

Also nuclear physics can be theoretical physicists, so they are not mutually exclusive...

As for getting more money, my high school physics teacher got a masters in nuclear physics and became a nuclear engineer for a while before she became a teacher and probably made more money that way than, say, going into a PhD program and getting a grad student salary :P

5. Aug 25, 2009 #4

Are you sure you know what a physicist truly does? You are asking the wrong question. You will need to choose a particular branch of physics (nuclear, condensed matter, particle, etc). A separate issue is whether you wish to pursue theoretical or experimental research.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook