Which path to take to reach OE? EE or PHY?

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on which undergraduate degree to pursue in order to eventually enter the Masters program for Optics at the CREOL college. They are torn between Electrical Engineering and Physics and are unsure of the benefits of each degree in regards to their future career and entering the Masters program. Suggestions are given to potentially minor in Physics while majoring in EE, or to pursue a double degree program if available. Ultimately, it is recommended to study Physics for a deeper understanding of the fundamentals of optics and lasers, and not to be discouraged by the idea that Physics majors may have limited job opportunities.
DaVinci
Greetings. I just found these forums and hope you guys can shed some light on this for me. I just received my AA degree from a local community college and am finishing up Physics 2 and Calculus 3 so I can move on to the University of Central Florida.

I would like to get into the Masters program for Optics at the CREOL college there. (http://www.creol.ucf.edu/). They only have programs for people who have an undergraduate degree in EE or PHY.

Here is the dilema. I enjoy both Electrical Engineering and Physics. They both sound equally interesting. I am drawn to some things in one and other things in the other. Frankly, it has been 2 years of hell trying to decide which one to pursue.

However, the end goal is a Masters in Optics and Lasers.

So, what are the benefits of an undergrad in either degree? Is it simple a matter of the EE degree is easier to fall back on and get a job if things go sour? All the people I have spoken to locally have said that... but they are all Engineers and not physicists. So, biased perspectives there.

Would one be better than the other in entering the Masters program at CREOL?

Thanks for any insight.

Physics news on Phys.org
CREOL is primarily an Electro-Optics center, I would suggest EE as opposed to Physics. You can always minor in Physics and major in EE, that way you will have some of the background necessary to work in Optics/Quantum Optics.

Quantum Optics... shows how little I know... never heard of that branch.

What do they do? Is it simple working on Optics at levels smaller than the nano? Or ?

I don't know much about how your system works over there, but many people at my university (RMIT in Melbourne, Australia) study for a double degree in Electronic engineering and Applied physics. It sounds like that would be perfect for you. Do any universities near you offer programs similar to this?
A few of my friends were basically building lasers from scratch and experimenting on them for their final year projects.
If you can't find a double degree program, my advice would be to do as Dr Transport says: Study EE but make sure that you do a Physics minor.

DaVinci said:
Here is the dilema. I enjoy both Electrical Engineering and Physics. They both sound equally interesting. I am drawn to some things in one and other things in the other. Frankly, it has been 2 years of hell trying to decide which one to pursue.

However, the end goal is a Masters in Optics and Lasers.

So, what are the benefits of an undergrad in either degree? Is it simple a matter of the EE degree is easier to fall back on and get a job if things go sour? All the people I have spoken to locally have said that... but they are all Engineers and not physicists. So, biased perspectives there.

CREOL research aside, my opinion is that a Physics degree is the way to go if you are doing Optics and Lasers, and for employment in general. Physics will let you get to know quantum and emag at the most fundamental level, which is what optical systems and lasers are all about. You won't be distracted by designing circuits or systems engineering as will happen in the EE degree.

And about employment...don't let engineers tell you that nobody will hire you with a Physics degree. In fact, with a few exceptions, your Physics degree will set you apart in a stack of resumes. Honestly, most job skills in science and technology are learned on-the-job and by having a physics degree you'll be conversant with MechE's, EE's, and just about everyone else.

1. What is the difference between OE and EE?

OE stands for Optoelectronics, which is the study and application of electronic devices that interact with light. EE stands for Electrical Engineering, which is the study and application of electrical systems and devices. While there is some overlap between the two fields, OE specifically focuses on optics and light-based technologies, while EE has a broader scope and includes electronics, power systems, and telecommunications.

2. Which path has better career prospects - OE or EE?

Both OE and EE are rapidly growing fields with high demand for skilled professionals. However, the specific career prospects for each path may vary depending on individual skills and interests. For example, OE may offer opportunities in industries such as telecommunications, healthcare, and renewable energy, while EE may have more options in fields like power generation, computer engineering, and robotics.

3. Can I switch from one path to the other?

Yes, it is possible to switch between OE and EE paths, as both involve a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and electronics. However, there may be some differences in coursework and specialization requirements, so it is important to consult with academic advisors and plan carefully if you are considering switching paths.

4. Which path is more suitable for someone with a strong background in physics?

Both OE and EE involve the application of physics principles, so having a strong background in physics can be beneficial for either path. However, if you have a particular interest in optics, photonics, and light-based technologies, OE may be a more suitable choice. If you are interested in a broader range of electrical systems and devices, EE may be a better fit.

5. What are the current research areas in OE and EE?

Some current research areas in OE include nanophotonics, solar energy, and biophotonics. In EE, research is being conducted in fields such as renewable energy, wireless communication, and artificial intelligence. However, these are just a few examples and the research areas in both paths are constantly evolving. It is important to stay updated and explore your own interests within the fields.