1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which path?

1. Jun 9, 2007 #1
    Ok. I have to decided on which path to take next year.

I want to be a mathematical physicist. I'm going into my senior year, and I have almost literally taken every math class offered. I took 8 pure math classes last year. I've taken the 1st year of physics too.

Next year I can take graduate classes in mathematics or I cant opt to take physics classes. Mixing them doesn't really work with the scheduling. I would need to take 3 physics classes in the fall so that I can take quantum in the spring. I would like to research the mathematics behind quantum in graduate school and beyond.

So, should I take the grad classes, which will help me get into a better math grad school, or do I take the physics?

I've been told by some that I should learn the physics on my own if I wish to be a mathematical physicist. Is this realistic? To me, this sounds like Bourbaki-arrogance. I don't know too many Bourbaki's that can handle reading Landau, but I'm sure they would say they "could". Thing for me is, I "want" to be able to read Landau and beyond someday - as well as the classic Algebra by Bourbaki.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2007 #2
    read Landau, good idea
  4. Jun 9, 2007 #3
    You say you will need to take three classes this fall so that you can take quantum in the spring - does that mean you've not taken any quantum at all so far?
  5. Jun 9, 2007 #4
    No, no quantum yet. In the fall would be a waves and optics class, EM, and mech, and in the spring quantum 1 and EM 2. I'm not at all worried about the intense work. Especially after Differential Geom, Analysis on Manifolds, Fourier analysis and Complex analysis last semester. I just want to make the wisest choice.
  6. Jun 9, 2007 #5
    If you want to apply to graduate programs in physics, undergraduate courses in classical mechanics, E&M, statistical mechanics and quantum are pretty much essential. You might want to take a lab course too.

My advice: you have 4 (5? 6?) years of grad school to take grad courses. Use your undergrad to broaden your background and explore material that sounds interesting.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?