Best pH Meter to Buy: 20-40 Bucks

• Thread starter Garlic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Meter Ph
In summary, @litup suggested that you could use simple paper test strips instead of a pH meter (to save money), and @hogentogler said that analog pH meters are usually ok, but that a digital meter is better.
Garlic
Gold Member
Hello everyone,

In a few weeks I am going to have my anorganic chemistry laboratory experiments, and I want to buy one PH-Meter.

I'm looking for a model that is realible but not expensive (in the order of 20-40 bucks)

I'll be happy to hear your suggestions

Chemistry news on Phys.org
litup said:
https://www.hogentogler.com/ohaus/s...k9a2-lTyWzEwnmaIcRcyWecBAF1oOuEgaAiBdEALw_wcB

A quick look resulted in this, but it is $43

Don't forget you also need a buffer/calibration liquid:

.https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/07512213

Also, don't forget simple litmus paper testers

https://www.grainger.com/product/3U...0717!&ef_id=VO8dJQAABW1DopT9:20170825145438:s

6 to 10 bucks.

Thanks for your quick reply.
I think I can just ask my professor for calibration liquid instead of buying it in bulk size. And I'm wondering, why can't I use any cheap liquid whose pH value I know (eg pure water)?

Do you think it is necessary that I buy pH indicator papers even if I have the pH Meter?

Garlic said:
Do you think it is necessary that I buy pH indicator papers even if I have the pH Meter?
I think @litup was just suggesting that you could use simple paper test strips instead of a pH meter (to save money). What accuracy do you need? Would paper strips be accurate enough?

Not sure where you find the choices for pH meters, but anything less than $50 seems too cheap. Analog ok, or must it be digital? You could or SHOULD buy commercially prepared pH buffer solutions for calibrating the meter. pH 4 and 7, if you plan to titrate alkaline samples, or pH 7 and 10 if you plan to titrate acidic samples (I may be off on this a bit). One would expect that your school's laboratory have the needed pH meter already. pH test paper is only qualitative and not a measurement.

berkeman said:
I think @litup was just suggesting that you could use simple paper test strips instead of a pH meter (to save money). What accuracy do you need? Would paper strips be accurate enough?

symbolipoint said:
Not sure where you find the choices for pH meters, but anything less than $50 seems too cheap. Analog ok, or must it be digital? You could or SHOULD buy commercially prepared pH buffer solutions for calibrating the meter. pH 4 and 7, if you plan to titrate alkaline samples, or pH 7 and 10 if you plan to titrate acidic samples (I may be off on this a bit). One would expect that your school's laboratory have the needed pH meter already. pH test paper is only qualitative and not a measurement.

Like I said, this is for basic inorganic chemistry laboratory experiments that I'm going to have in our university in a few weeks.

The pH-Meter doesn't have to have high resolution, but it needs to be reliable.

With my experiment partners we have decided that it would be okay to spend a little more to buy a pH-Meter, instead of struggling with pH indicator papers.

I just sent an Email to my Professor if we can find the necessary calibration liquids in our chemistry laboratory, instead of spending 10-15 Euros to buy it in bulk size.

Do you think it is a good idea to buy a pH-Meter?

Garlic said:
Like I said, this is for basic inorganic chemistry laboratory experiments that I'm going to have in our university in a few weeks.

The pH-Meter doesn't have to have high resolution, but it needs to be reliable.

With my experiment partners we have decided that it would be okay to spend a little more to buy a pH-Meter, instead of struggling with pH indicator papers.

I just sent an Email to my Professor if we can find the necessary calibration liquids in our chemistry laboratory, instead of spending 10-15 Euros to buy it in bulk size.

Do you think it is a good idea to buy a pH-Meter?
No. You should not buy one. Your school laboratory should already have the necessary pH meter or meters. Your school should already have the necessary pH buffers in the lab, or should make the necessary arrangements to purchase them, or alternatively, should have the necessary compounds to prepare these pH buffer solutions (as may be found in reference sources like some handbook of chemistry & physics).

So, after asking my professor, he told me that it is really unusual that someone uses pH-meters in the laboratory, and that it is better to use indicator papers instead, as we are unexperienced with the calibration.

Anyways thank you for your answers

Likes berkeman
Garlic said:
So, after asking my professor, he told me that it is really unusual that someone uses pH-meters in the laboratory, and that it is better to use indicator papers instead, as we are unexperienced with the calibration.

Absolute NONSENSE!

symbolipoint said:
Absolute NONSENSE!

I mean in our laboratory classes for second semester physics major students, it is something unusual that someone uses a pH Meter.
He told that the pH Meter that litup suggested is being sold already calibrated, so I wouldn't have to calibrate it before using it, but once something happens it is rather difficult to recalibrate.
I do think he is right

Garlic said:
I mean in our laboratory classes for second semester physics major students, it is something unusual that someone uses a pH Meter.
He told that the pH Meter that litup suggested is being sold already calibrated, so I wouldn't have to calibrate it before using it, but once something happens it is rather difficult to recalibrate.
I do think he is right
Maybe you should discuss what you expect to observe or measure which will involve acids, acidity, bases, or alkalinity. You have not said if you are looking at just matter and energy, or if you are specifically looking at chemistry of liquids or solutions in water, or salts or weak or strong acids or bases, or the balance between acids and bases. If you are dealing with acids or bases in water, then certainly you should expect to use a pH meter. The use of pH indicator paper is only qualitative.

The comment about not needing to calibrate the meter seems like more nonsense.

I would not trust a cheapo Ph meter uncalibrated, I would want some nice 7.0 fluid and 3.0 and say 10.0 or something like that to prove it works, especially for real lab work, student or not. Ph meters are touchy and needs care after use like stuck back in a 7.0 liquid till next use so the electrodes don't dry out. But they are certainly faster and more accurate than litmus or liquid drops.
My company uses HF and we need to dilute it so we have a permanent Ph installation to see the final result when we add bases to make it safe to flush. I made the mistake once of leaving the tip out of water and it got ruined, also gets dust in the tip which can ruin it also. Just take care of them, they will work for a long time.

Likes Garlic and symbolipoint

1. What is the importance of pH meters in scientific research?

pH meters are essential tools for measuring the acidity or alkalinity of a solution. In scientific research, they are used to accurately monitor the pH levels of various substances, such as water, soil, and biological samples. This information is crucial for understanding chemical reactions, enzyme activity, and overall environmental conditions.

2. How much should I expect to spend on a good pH meter?

The cost of pH meters can vary greatly depending on their features and accuracy. However, for a reliable and accurate pH meter, you can expect to spend anywhere from $20 to $40. It's important to do some research and read reviews before making a purchase to ensure you are getting the best value for your money.

3. What features should I look for in a pH meter?

When choosing a pH meter, there are a few key features to consider. These include accuracy, ease of use, calibration options, and durability. It's also helpful to look for a meter with automatic temperature compensation, as this ensures accurate readings even with temperature changes.

4. Are there any maintenance or calibration steps required for a pH meter?

Yes, regular maintenance and calibration are necessary to ensure the accuracy of your pH meter. This typically involves cleaning the electrode and calibrating the meter with standard pH solutions. It's important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for maintenance and calibration to ensure proper functioning of the meter.

5. Can a pH meter be used for both liquid and solid samples?

Most pH meters are designed for liquid samples, but some models come with special electrodes that can be used for solid samples as well. However, it's important to note that solid samples may require additional preparation and testing methods to obtain accurate pH readings.