Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which philosophers to read?

1. Feb 25, 2009 #1
    Hi all,

I read Russell's "Problems of Philosophy" for school and want to learn more about philosophy. I picked up Heidegger's "Introduction to Metaphysics", but despite the title, it was much too difficult for me.

Any idea on good philosophers for a beginner looking to understand some philosophy to read?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2009 #2
    Rene Descartes: Meditations on First Philosophy
    Plato's Dialogues: Apology, Crito, Euthyphro
    Plato: Republic
    David Hume: An Enquiry concerning Human Understanding
    Friedrich Nietzsche: Twilight of the Idols
    W. V. O. Quine: Two Dogmas of Empiricism
    Thomas Kuhn: The Structure of Scientific Revolutions

4. Feb 25, 2009 #3
    Well it depends on what you already know. If its a thorough overview of histories many philosophers and their ideas and doctrines then i would suggest Russell's "history of western philosophy"
    For an absolute beginner who wishes an enjoyable and quick understanding of some of the oldest questions in philosophy i would recommend Thomas Nagel's "what does it all mean"

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  5. Feb 26, 2009 #4
    Thanks, both of you! I picked up the complete works of Plato from the library. Seems like a good starting point. I'll keep your other suggestions in mind!

6. Feb 26, 2009 #5
    Starting with Plato is good, and then Aristotle, Descartes, Spinoza, Liebniz, Hume, Kant, Nietzsche, Heidigger, Wittgenstein, Sartre.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook