Who are some recommended philosophers for beginners in philosophy?

• Thread starter uman
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around someone looking to learn more about philosophy and seeking recommendations for beginner-friendly readings. Some suggested philosophers and texts included Rene Descartes' "Meditations on First Philosophy," Plato's works, David Hume's "An Enquiry concerning Human Understanding," Friedrich Nietzsche's "Twilight of the Idols," and Thomas Kuhn's "The Structure of Scientific Revolutions." The suggestion of starting with Plato was agreed upon, with other philosophers mentioned as possible follow-up readings.
uman
Hi all,

I read Russell's "Problems of Philosophy" for school and want to learn more about philosophy. I picked up Heidegger's "Introduction to Metaphysics", but despite the title, it was much too difficult for me.

Any idea on good philosophers for a beginner looking to understand some philosophy to read?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
uman said:
Hi all,
I read Russell's "Problems of Philosophy" for school and want to learn more about philosophy.

Rene Descartes: Meditations on First Philosophy
Plato's Dialogues: Apology, Crito, Euthyphro
Plato: Republic
David Hume: An Enquiry concerning Human Understanding
Friedrich Nietzsche: Twilight of the Idols
W. V. O. Quine: Two Dogmas of Empiricism
Thomas Kuhn: The Structure of Scientific Revolutions

Well it depends on what you already know. If its a thorough overview of histories many philosophers and their ideas and doctrines then i would suggest Russell's "history of western philosophy"
For an absolute beginner who wishes an enjoyable and quick understanding of some of the oldest questions in philosophy i would recommend Thomas Nagel's "what does it all mean"

Last edited:
Thanks, both of you! I picked up the complete works of Plato from the library. Seems like a good starting point. I'll keep your other suggestions in mind!

Starting with Plato is good, and then Aristotle, Descartes, Spinoza, Liebniz, Hume, Kant, Nietzsche, Heidigger, Wittgenstein, Sartre.

1. Who are the most influential philosophers to read?

The answer to this question depends on the specific field of philosophy you are interested in. Some of the most influential philosophers include Aristotle, Plato, Immanuel Kant, René Descartes, and Friedrich Nietzsche. However, there are many other philosophers who have made significant contributions to the field.

2. What are the best books to read for an introduction to philosophy?

Again, this will vary depending on your specific interests. However, some popular introductory books include "Sophie's World" by Jostein Gaarder, "The Philosophy Book" by Will Buckingham, and "Think: A Compelling Introduction to Philosophy" by Simon Blackburn.

3. Are there any philosophers that are considered controversial or polarizing?

Yes, there are many philosophers who have controversial or polarizing views. Some examples include Friedrich Nietzsche, Jean-Paul Sartre, and Michel Foucault. It is important to read a variety of perspectives and form your own opinions.

4. Are there any modern philosophers that are worth reading?

Absolutely! Philosophy is a constantly evolving field and there are many contemporary philosophers who are worth reading. Some examples include Martha Nussbaum, Slavoj Žižek, and Michael Sandel.

5. How do I choose which philosophers to read?

When choosing which philosophers to read, it is important to consider your interests and the specific topics or questions you are interested in exploring. It can also be helpful to read a variety of perspectives and to seek recommendations from other philosophers or experts in the field.