Pure Physics vs. Applied Physics: Choosing a Career Path

• Courses
  • Thread starter SataSata
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, there are various common courses available for both pure physics and applied physics undergraduates, but there are also exclusive courses for each track. This has put the speaker in a dilemma as they are more interested in pure physics courses but have to choose a specialization, while applied physics offers more practical career opportunities. The speaker is unsure whether to pursue their dream in pure physics or choose a safer and more stable career in an applied physics industry.
SataSata
In my university, physics undergraduates are required to choose either pure physics or applied physics after freshman year. There are various common courses available to both like condensed matter physics, atomic physics, quantum mechanics and many others.

However, there are some courses that are exclusive to either track and have put me in a dilemma as to which track to choose.

For pure physics:
Statistical Mechanics
Fluid Mechanics
Chaotic Dynamical System
Atmospheric Physics
Computational Physics
Non-classical Electrodynamics

For applied physics:
Physical Optics
Biophysics
Photonics
Fabrication of Micro & Nanoelectronic Devices
Physics of Semiconductor and Spintronics Devices
Soft Condensed Matter Physics
Medical Physics for Radiotherapy

I thought that applied physics courses are a bit lacking as their focus are either optical, semiconductor or bio/medical. Whereas pure physics courses cover a wider range of topics. I also doubt that it is possible to take all the courses listed as we have to choose a specialization. For applied physics, we get to choose either nanotech, optical tech, semiconductor tech or bio/medical physics. But for pure physics, the only specialization available is nanotech.

I'm actually much more interested in the courses of pure physics as the reason I got into physics in the first place is because I wanted to study about nature. However, I understand that it is not possible to take up all the courses that pure physics has to offer and nanotech is the only available specialization and I'm not particularly fond of it. Choosing between all the specializations, I would probably choose optical tech or medical physics, but this would mean I'm giving up on all the pure physics courses that are listed above.

Initially I wanted to continue to get a master's in a pure physics sub-field and hopefully a PhD. However I'm afraid that I wouldn't do so well in my undergrad results and unable to qualify for a master's. Furthermore, the tuition fees are high and currently I'm already in debt for my undergrad tuition fees. Career prospects are also another factor that I'm worried about.

On the other hand, if I take up applied physics and simply specialize in an industry, I wouldn't have to worry about not getting a master's or PhD if I can't afford or qualify for it. The career opportunities are also better in the chosen industry compared to pure physics.

So basically, it's either I pursue my dream in a pure physics sub-field with risks of not succeeding, or I simply choose a safer and more stable career in an applied physics industry. What are your thoughts? Is it really worth studying things that you like compared to things that are useful to the industry?

Physics news on Phys.org
Some employers might believe that "applied" physics is necessarily the discipline that they might hire, but I sure do not. Granted employers related to medical professions might want the medical physics, biophysics, or even physical optics or nanoelectronic devices. But many physicists, both inside and outside of academia (e.g government labs or their contractors, geophysical or space laboratories etc), hired on have a strong background in computational physics, and atmospheric physics or fluid mechanics.

Likes SataSata

1. What are the different tracks available in Physics?

There are several tracks available in Physics, including Astrophysics, Biophysics, Condensed Matter Physics, High Energy Physics, and Nuclear Physics. Each track focuses on a specific area of physics and its applications.

2. How do I decide which track to take?

Deciding on a specific track in Physics depends on your interests and career goals. Research each track to understand its scope and determine which aligns with your interests and career aspirations.

3. What are the differences between the different Physics tracks?

The differences between Physics tracks lie in their focus and applications. For example, Astrophysics focuses on the study of celestial objects and their interactions, while Biophysics applies principles of physics to understand biological systems.

4. Can I switch tracks in the middle of my studies?

It is possible to switch tracks in the middle of your studies, but it may require additional coursework and time. It is important to consult with your academic advisor before making any changes.

5. Are there any prerequisites for specific Physics tracks?

Yes, some Physics tracks may have specific prerequisites, such as introductory courses in a particular field of study. It is essential to check with your academic advisor to ensure you meet all the requirements for the track you want to pursue.