1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which position?

1. Nov 25, 2009 #1
    I am a junior physics undergrad and was offered an internship for this spring working on an experimental physics project in a field unrelated to what I want to go to grad school for (theoretical condensed matter or quantum computing/information). It would be full time but it sounds like I'll be spending most of my time building the experiment (and the construction of which isn't supposed to be done for a year). I have also been offered a position in a theoretical quantum computing group at my school starting in the spring, though it would be a 10 hours/week thing since I'd be taking classes as well. Presumably, if I did the full time gig this spring I'd still be able to join the quantum computing group when I returned. It will also probably take me another semester to graduate, but I don't see that as a bad thing necessarily (I really like being an undergrad).

I'd be taking the full time gig mostly to get away from school for a semester (I signed up for way too many classes this semester and am pretty burned out now) and to learn about an area of physics I know almost nothing about (since this is probably the area of physics I know the least about). I don't like the idea of my actions being dictated by what will look good on a grad school application but that does come into the equation, so I'm wondering if working in an unrelated field will be helpful in that area.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted