Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which problem book?

1. Aug 10, 2007 #1

Im currently 16, and just about to go into 6th form. Ive been reading up alot into maths quite a bit beyond my current level and have used up all the problems at the back of the books i have currently.

I was thinking I could get a problem book that had enough problems to keep me going for 2 or 3 years hopefully, from my current level (read up most of pre-uni maths, but self taught here so missing sections), up to some problems beyond school level because in a year or 2 i will have started reading beyond school level maths.

The only book i found when i scoured the web was the one with the IMO problems but Im guessing they would be too hard???

what do you think? Any books to suggest?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This isn't a pure problem book but its one I love and recommend to lots of people at about your level. Its called 'Guide to Mathematical Methods' by Gilbert and Jordan and its meant as a transition from A-level to university. A lot of it is revision but its presented very well and it should give you a fairly deep understanding of most of the foundations of maths. It has plenty of exercises in that should keep you going for a while.
  4. Aug 10, 2007 #3
    thnx buddy :D

ill make sure to get it :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?