Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which processor

1. May 28, 2005 #1
    I need to do some fluid flow calculations at low Reynold numbers. My current PIII won't suffice. Which processor should I go in for?

I was looking towards the likes for P4 3GHz with HT. I know with this speed, the calculations will take hours but I am willing to tolerate that. Will a 3.2 GHz with HT make a significant difference? Or should I dump Intel and go in for AMD?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2005 #2
    From what you mentioned, I think you have to build yourself a quantum computer, it should take you only a few msec to calculate the whole stuff.
  4. May 29, 2005 #3

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

... of course this depends very much on your problem .... your problem can be modeled such that hardware wise the computations can be performed, whether it'll converge to anything meaningful would require a bit more detailed evaluation concerning the computational requirements of the problem. However, if you're working with low Reynold's numbers my gut feeling would be that by upgrading to recent intel / amd you would be able to increase the numerical performance to a level where you'd be able to do the analyses with typical PCs (just make sure memory & HDD specs are adequate, memory is pretty much as important as CPU). Also, running the system in any other OS than windows is a big bonus in terms of computational performance, e.g. the performance of same hardware configs running windows and linux is typically quite different (at least in all appls & benchsmarks I've run with FEA, CFD etc. software windows is a total resource hog / waster).
  5. May 29, 2005 #4
    Thanks, I'll be running the softwares under Linux.

The Reynold numbers are very low - around 50000-80000.

So AMD and Intel both will do?
    And how much advantage will 2GB Ram offer over 1 GB? Should I go in for DDR or DDR2?

Will an ordinary graphics card do as the ones specifically designed for this task like are very expensive (the softwares are compatible with most graphic cards.)
  6. May 29, 2005 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sid, From your explanation, it sounds like you're trying to do a CFD analysis. Is this for school? If not, do you need to do a CFD analysis- do you need to do that rigerous of an analysis? What you're trying to calculate may be simple enough to do on your existing computer using a different method.
  7. May 29, 2005 #6
    I had to go in for a new CPU anyway, just thought I might go in for a bit higher side. After doing some more research I have realized that I was extremely naive in thinking a computer can do the job. I think I'll stick with the wind tunnel
  8. May 30, 2005 #7

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

LOL -- you're probably right, would be easier to stick with experimental stuff ... not as much fun though.
  9. Jun 3, 2005 #8
    Can you break it down into a distributed-computing job? Advertise your distributed-computing project and volunteers will come.
  10. Jun 3, 2005 #9
    Well, I could I guess but then I have very little experience with CFD so there is quite a chance that I'll mess up the thing.
  11. Jun 6, 2005 #10
    you know they have these new 64 bit proccessors comming out. I think they are already out, just not in common use. If you hae the money I would invest in one of those, although I am not sure which Operating Systems (if any) knows how to handle these types of processors. :confused:
  12. Jun 8, 2005 #11
    Linux already supports 64-bit processors. Microsoft's Windows XP Professional x64 edition has just been released as well. I recommend using AMD's 64-bit processors over Intel's solutions. Not only are they relatively more inexpensive and support extended WinXP instructions, but with the socket 939 version, you can upgrade to dual core X2 64-bit processors later on without having to change your motherboard. AMD seems to have better implementation in regards to dual core, see http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1797 .
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2005
  13. Jun 9, 2005 #12
    Have you read the sticky guide i posted here in regards to choosing a CPU? 0_o
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?