Choosing the Right Processor for Fluid Flow Calculations at Low Reynold Numbers

In summary, an upgrade to a recent Intel or AMD processor is necessary to calculate low Reynold's numbers. A 3.2 GHz with HT will make a significant difference in performance.
sid_galt
I need to do some fluid flow calculations at low Reynold numbers. My current PIII won't suffice. Which processor should I go in for?

I was looking towards the likes for P4 3GHz with HT. I know with this speed, the calculations will take hours but I am willing to tolerate that. Will a 3.2 GHz with HT make a significant difference? Or should I dump Intel and go in for AMD?

Computer science news on Phys.org
From what you mentioned, I think you have to build yourself a quantum computer, it should take you only a few msec to calculate the whole stuff.

... of course this depends very much on your problem ... your problem can be modeled such that hardware wise the computations can be performed, whether it'll converge to anything meaningful would require a bit more detailed evaluation concerning the computational requirements of the problem. However, if you're working with low Reynold's numbers my gut feeling would be that by upgrading to recent intel / amd you would be able to increase the numerical performance to a level where you'd be able to do the analyses with typical PCs (just make sure memory & HDD specs are adequate, memory is pretty much as important as CPU). Also, running the system in any other OS than windows is a big bonus in terms of computational performance, e.g. the performance of same hardware configs running windows and linux is typically quite different (at least in all appls & benchsmarks I've run with FEA, CFD etc. software windows is a total resource hog / waster).

Thanks, I'll be running the softwares under Linux.

The Reynold numbers are very low - around 50000-80000.

So AMD and Intel both will do?
And how much advantage will 2GB Ram offer over 1 GB? Should I go in for DDR or DDR2?

Will an ordinary graphics card do as the ones specifically designed for this task like are very expensive (the softwares are compatible with most graphic cards.)

Sid, From your explanation, it sounds like you're trying to do a CFD analysis. Is this for school? If not, do you need to do a CFD analysis- do you need to do that rigerous of an analysis? What you're trying to calculate may be simple enough to do on your existing computer using a different method.

I had to go in for a new CPU anyway, just thought I might go in for a bit higher side. After doing some more research I have realized that I was extremely naive in thinking a computer can do the job. I think I'll stick with the wind tunnel

LOL -- you're probably right, would be easier to stick with experimental stuff ... not as much fun though.

sid_galt said:
After doing some more research I have realized that I was extremely naive in thinking a computer can do the job.
Can you break it down into a distributed-computing job? Advertise your distributed-computing project and volunteers will come.

Well, I could I guess but then I have very little experience with CFD so there is quite a chance that I'll mess up the thing.

sid_galt said:
I need to do some fluid flow calculations at low Reynold numbers. My current PIII won't suffice. Which processor should I go in for?

I was looking towards the likes for P4 3GHz with HT. I know with this speed, the calculations will take hours but I am willing to tolerate that. Will a 3.2 GHz with HT make a significant difference? Or should I dump Intel and go in for AMD?

you know they have these new 64 bit processors comming out. I think they are already out, just not in common use. If you hae the money I would invest in one of those, although I am not sure which Operating Systems (if any) knows how to handle these types of processors. :confused:

eNathan said:
...although I am not sure which Operating Systems (if any) knows how to handle these types of processors

Linux already supports 64-bit processors. Microsoft's Windows XP Professional x64 edition has just been released as well. I recommend using AMD's 64-bit processors over Intel's solutions. Not only are they relatively more inexpensive and support extended WinXP instructions, but with the socket 939 version, you can upgrade to dual core X2 64-bit processors later on without having to change your motherboard. AMD seems to have better implementation in regards to dual core, see http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1797 .

Last edited:
Have you read the sticky guide i posted here in regards to choosing a CPU? 0_o

1. What is the significance of choosing the right processor for fluid flow calculations at low Reynold numbers?

The processor plays a crucial role in determining the accuracy and efficiency of fluid flow calculations at low Reynold numbers. A high-performance processor can handle complex calculations and produce more accurate results, while a lower-performance processor may lead to errors or longer computation times.

2. How do I know if a processor is suitable for fluid flow calculations at low Reynold numbers?

The processor's specifications, such as clock speed, number of cores, and cache size, can provide an indication of its suitability for fluid flow calculations. Higher clock speeds and more cores generally result in faster calculation times. Additionally, checking for support of specialized instruction sets, such as AVX2, can also be beneficial for these types of calculations.

3. Can I use any processor for fluid flow calculations at low Reynold numbers?

No, not all processors are suitable for these types of calculations. Processors with lower clock speeds, fewer cores, or lacking support for specialized instruction sets may not be able to handle the complex calculations required for fluid flow at low Reynold numbers.

4. Are there any specific processors that are highly recommended for fluid flow calculations at low Reynold numbers?

There are several processors that are highly recommended for these types of calculations, such as Intel Core i7 and i9 processors, AMD Ryzen processors, and Intel Xeon processors. It is important to consider the specific needs and requirements of your fluid flow calculations when choosing a processor.

5. Will choosing a more expensive processor necessarily result in better fluid flow calculations at low Reynold numbers?

Not necessarily. While a higher-end processor may have more advanced features and capabilities, it is important to consider the specific needs and requirements of your fluid flow calculations. In some cases, a mid-range processor may be sufficient, while in others, a high-end processor may be necessary for optimal performance.