Which Program to Use for Modeling Gas Turbine Combustor?

• Thread starter stan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Program
In summary: It is difficult to learn, but I have found that once you have the basics down, it is fairly user-friendly.
stan
hi

i need to model a gas turbine combustor and i was wondering which tool to use?

is CFX or FEMLAB better? i would like the most straight forward step to achieve this task. Does FEMLAB needs programing to obtain the mesh, which program is more userfriendly?

Btw,has anyone heard of the program DYMAIN? Would it be able to model a combustor as well?

If not, any suggestions on which user friendly program to use?
Any answers to my queries would be welcomed.

Regards,
Stan

Engineering news on Phys.org
stan said:
is CFX or FEMLAB better? i would like the most straight forward step to achieve this task. Does FEMLAB needs programing to obtain the mesh, which program is more userfriendly?

Femlab is a complete package, it is more customizable than your traditional FE based package making it a bit more cruder to use in general, but it has a good GUI for pre- & post-processing so you aren't "forced" to write any code to get those stages done. I haven't used CFX but a couple of times but my impression of it is that it is a complete professional package with most the properties you'd be needing. I'd say it depends on the complexity of your approach, a relatively simplistic one I'd do with Femlab, tougher ones CFX will probably handle better (and be comparable in easier ones, Femlabs GUI is pretty modern and quick so doing relatively simple models with it is typically really fast).

Possibly FEMLAB and CFX are about the same.

FEMLAB - http://www.comsol.com/products/femlab/

ANSYS - http://www.ansys.com/products/cfx.asp

I don't know anyone who has done a side-by-side comparison.

I haven't used either, but I had a demonstration of CFX back when it was under AEA Technology, and it was one to the two top CFD packages, the other being STAR-CD.

If possible, try to find papers from the utility or aerospace (AIAA) industry on modeling gas turbine combustors. I believe both packages have a combustion or chemistry module.

I have not heard of DYMAIN. Is the spelling correct? There is dynamic FEA, which certainly incorporates different models than static FEA.

My company uses ABAQUS Explicit.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are the different types of programs available for modeling gas turbine combustors?

There are several types of programs available for modeling gas turbine combustors, including Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) software, Finite Element Analysis (FEA) software, and specialized programs specifically designed for gas turbine combustion simulations.

2. How do I determine which program is best suited for my specific needs?

The best program for modeling gas turbine combustors depends on various factors such as the complexity of the combustor design, the level of accuracy required, and the available computational resources. It is recommended to consult with experts in the field and carefully evaluate the capabilities and limitations of each program before making a decision.

3. Is there a specific program that is commonly used by researchers and engineers for gas turbine combustor modeling?

There is no single program that is universally used for gas turbine combustor modeling. The choice of program often depends on the specific research or engineering objectives and the familiarity of the user with the software.

4. Are there any open-source programs available for gas turbine combustor modeling?

Yes, there are several open-source programs available for gas turbine combustor modeling, such as OpenFOAM and SU2. These programs are free to use and can be modified and customized according to specific research needs.

5. Can I use multiple programs for modeling gas turbine combustors?

Yes, it is possible to use multiple programs for gas turbine combustor modeling. In fact, using a combination of different programs can provide more comprehensive results and help validate the accuracy of the simulations. However, it is important to ensure compatibility between the different programs and to properly account for any differences in modeling approaches.