Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which religion do you affiliate with?

1. Christianity

7 vote(s)
    11.3%
  2. Islam

3 vote(s)
    4.8%
  3. Hinduism

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Buddhism

4 vote(s)
    6.5%
  5. Shinto

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Sikhism

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Judaism

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Bahá'i Faith

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Korean Shamanism

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  10. Caodaism

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Jainism

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Cheondoism

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Hoahaoism

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Tengriism

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Other

4 vote(s)
    6.5%
  16. None

43 vote(s)
    69.4%
  1. Aug 14, 2014 #1

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

A bit of a sensitive topic, so rest assured: I will moderate this closely. So please no attacking of other people's choices, no mocking or anything. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2014 #2

wukunlin

Gold Member

I change my views easily when I find new credible information. So affiliation simply isn't my thing.

4. Aug 14, 2014 #3

reenmachine

Gold Member

None, though my background is Catholic.I'm baptized, had my first communion and confirmation.

5. Aug 14, 2014 #4

strangerep

Science Advisor

I'm offended that you didn't give a explicit item for Pastafarian!

[And if anyone mocks Pastafarianism, I will be even more offended.]

6. Aug 14, 2014 #5

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I suppose Christian is as close as it gets to where I'm at. :)

7. Aug 15, 2014 #6

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

I'm curious about the respondent who answered "Korean Shamanism". In Japan, most people can claim to be both Buddhist and Shintoist (which essentially is a form of Japanese shamanism) at the same time without contradiction, as both faiths are highly syncretic, and the two often reinforce and influence one another. I'm wondering if it's analogous in Korea as well.

Also, I've never heard of Caodaism, Hoahaoism, or Cheondoism until now. BTW, the poll misspelled the folk religion of Mongols -- it's "Tengriism", not "Tenriism".

BTW, to answer your original post, I consider myself to be an agnostic with a strong orientation/bias towards atheism, as I reject all organized religions. The only reason I hesitate to call myself an atheist is because from what I undetstand, to be an atheist means one makes the specific claim that God (or gods) does not exist, and prefer not to make any such specific assumptions.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  8. Aug 15, 2014 #7
    I don't have any religious affiliation. Though, I recently called to make an appointment at the hospital, and the woman asked a bunch of questions, including what religion I am. She asked if I was still a Christian. Apparently, years ago, my mom had that as my religion when I went to that hospital as a kid. I like how parents will tell their children what religion they are, as if it's a biological trait.

I have a friend who claims to be of the Norse religion. Does he really believe in Thor? I doubt it. Maybe he just says it to be different.

If I had to choose any of the religions though, I'd go with Jainism. I've heard good things about them. I don't know much about them, except they refuse to kill ANYTHING. I don't know if I could do that. If you're a cockroach in my house, you're as good as dead. I can't just let my house get infested. So maybe I couldn't choose Jainism after all. It's the most moral, I believe, but I guess it's not for me.

9. Aug 15, 2014 #8

Jonathan Scott

Gold Member

I'm a Christian atheist. I was brought up as a Christian, so it's specifically the Christian god which I don't believe in!

10. Aug 15, 2014 #9
    Born and raised a christian, but now happily an atheist.

11. Aug 15, 2014 #10
    To identify as a Buddhist is a bit of a strange thing. If you want to see Buddhists arguing, just get them in a room together and ask them whether Buddhism is a religion or not. If that doesn't work, ask them whether rebirth is literal or metaphorical. Then get out.

All I know that the practice(s) involved probably kept me from turning into a drug addled loser.

-Dave K

12. Aug 15, 2014 #11

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

I too am offended that Pastafarianism did not make an appearance. It is a legitimate religion that I subscribe to. I pray to The Flying Spaghetti Monster that one day our religion will be given the same weight as all the others.

13. Aug 15, 2014 #12

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I couldn't list all religions, so I simply listed the 14 largest religions of the world. You can always choose other.

14. Aug 15, 2014 #13

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

It's too late, the damage has been done :cry:

15. Aug 15, 2014 #14

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Largest measured by what ordering relation? Number of deities? Wealth of its institutions? Number of devotees?

16. Aug 15, 2014 #15

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Bow down before the pasta!
    HeBoiledForYourSins.jpg

17. Aug 15, 2014 #16

ShayanJ

Gold Member

I don't want to mock anything. I'm just curious about pastafarianism because it seems to me its something for mocking other religions. I'm just asking for some clarification. And if you're going to answer, do it via private message.

EDIT: And others are really serious about it? Or are mocking Pastafarianism? or are mocking any other religion?

18. Aug 15, 2014 #17

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

The magnificence of the Great Pasta never fails to bring me to my knees in tears of joy.

19. Aug 15, 2014 #18

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The list does not include "Unitarian-Universalist" which is larger than some of those listed.

20. Aug 15, 2014 #19
    I don't want to derail the thread so I'll answer briefly. It isn't about mocking religions, but is a somewhat humorous way of bringing attention to the problem of lack of separation of church and state in America. By saying "why can't I be granted special privilege for my religion?", it is essentially "mocking" the government."

See: Texas Pastafarian Wins Battle At DMV, Becomes First In U.S. To Wear Colander In License Photo

Last I will say on it!

-Dave K

21. Aug 15, 2014 #20

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Of course it's serious. It's just as serious as any other religion.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook