Which road to Special and General Relativity, and beyond?

In summary, Mads is looking for book recommendations to gain a better understanding of Special and General Relativity and string theory. They are currently studying mathematics and physics on their own and are already reading Calculus by M. Spivak and Linear Algebra Done Right by S. Axler. They received recommendations for Analysis on Manifolds by Munkres and Ordinary Differential Equations by V. Arnold, which are at a similar difficulty level. The suggestion is to cover more math and physics before tackling General Relativity, but Special Relativity is accessible and "Spacetime Physics" is a recommended book for beginners.
madsmh
Hello, I am studying mathematics and physics on my own. However, it is the mathematical side of physics that interest me.

I would like some recommendations on which books would be beneficial for me to read, to gain an understanding of Special and General Relativity, and ultimatly string theory.

I am currently reading Calculus by M. Spivak, and Linear Algebra Done Right, by S. Axler.
If anyone could suggest books to read after I'm done with these, I would be greateful.

.. Mads

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Those are very good books. Two books I'd suggest that cover Multi-variable calculus and ODE at the level of Axler and Spivak (read high) are:

Analysis on Manifolds - Munkres
Ordinary Differential Equations - V. Arnold (note I'd get the "new" edition as it covers the standard solution methods as well as the dynamical systems stuff)

Both books are difficult but not harder then Spivak or Axler in my opinion.

I think it might be best to cover a little more math and physics before tackling General Relavity but Special Relativity is a very accessible subject. I's suggest "Spacetime Physics" its a good introduction but I'd say its the easiest book I've recommended.

Hi Deluks, thank you very much for your suggestions! The books you suggested does indeed seem excellent.

.. Mads

1. What is the difference between Special and General Relativity?

Special Relativity deals with the laws of physics in inertial reference frames, while General Relativity extends these laws to non-inertial reference frames, incorporating gravity into the equations. In other words, Special Relativity explains the behavior of objects in a flat, unchanging space, while General Relativity explains the behavior of objects in a curved, changing space.

2. How did Einstein come up with the theory of General Relativity?

Einstein developed the theory of General Relativity through a series of thought experiments and mathematical calculations. He was inspired by the work of Isaac Newton and other scientists, as well as his own ideas about the nature of space and time. He spent years refining his theory and eventually published his groundbreaking paper in 1915.

3. Can General Relativity be tested and proven?

Yes, General Relativity has been extensively tested and proven through various experiments and observations. One of the most famous confirmations of the theory was the observation of the bending of light by massive objects, such as the sun. General Relativity has also been confirmed through precise measurements of the orbits of planets and satellites, as well as the predictions of gravitational waves.

4. What are some practical applications of General Relativity?

General Relativity has led to several practical applications, such as the Global Positioning System (GPS), which uses Einstein's equations to account for the effects of gravity on satellite signals. It also has implications for space travel, as it allows for more accurate calculations of trajectories and orbits. Additionally, General Relativity has given us a better understanding of the universe and its origins.

5. Are there any current theories that go beyond General Relativity?

Yes, there are several theories that attempt to explain phenomena that General Relativity cannot fully account for, such as the behavior of matter at the quantum level and the nature of dark matter and dark energy. Some of these theories include string theory, loop quantum gravity, and modified theories of gravity. However, these theories are still being researched and have not yet been proven.