Which college books should I read first in middle school?

• Thread starter bh258
  • Start date
In summary: You are not at a disadvantage if you are not able to read these college books quickly.In summary, it is recommended to start with reading and studying the Algebra and Trigonometry book first before moving on to the Physics book. It is important to take your time and understand the material before moving on to the next book. If you find one subject more interesting, you can switch back and forth between the two books, but make sure to attempt solving the problems in each chapter for a better understanding. Don't feel discouraged if you don't understand something right away, take your time and ask for help when needed.
bh258
im still in middle school and i just got three old college books from my parents i want to read two (michael sullivans algebra and trigonometry sixth edition and Paul G Hewitts conceptual physics ninth edition) they said the math one might be too tough for me to understand so I am wondering which to read first

Physics news on Phys.org
You should try to read whichever you think interests you more. You will find that they complement each other well, and you might enjoy going back and forth between them. If you get stuck on anything, feel free to ask questions here, and we can help you get going again. No matter what you choose to read, just have a good time with it!

- Warren

Reading by itself is not enough; but certainly read and study the Algebra book first. Trigonometry relies on Intermediate Algebra and coordinate/cartesian Geometry, so you will need to gain understanding and skills with Intermediate Algebra before you can make good progress in Trigonometry (actually, Trigonometry relies mostly on Introductory Algebra and coordinate Geometry. Understanding of quadratic equations is one of the first and easiest extensions leading into the intermediate level of Algebra).

First study Algebra.

Since mathematics is necessary for understanding physics, I would say start with the math first. You will be able to take an Algebra based or Calculus based Physics course later and you will definitely appreciate a good foundation in math in order to be successful. Hope that helps, Good luck.

I agree with the other two posters, except that it can sometimes be difficult to motivate yourself for self-study. If the math books are not terribly engaging, it can be hard to keep yourself interested. If you find the physics book more interesting, read it as far as you can, then go back to the math book. Definitely try to solve as many problems as you can from each chapter as you go along -- attempting to solve the problems is much more valuable than simply reading and understanding the prose.

- Warren

yeah I've already read brian greenes book the fabric of the cosmos

bh258 said:
im still in middle school and i just got three old college books from my parents i want to read two (michael sullivans algebra and trigonometry sixth edition and Paul G Hewitts conceptual physics ninth edition) they said the math one might be too tough for me to understand so I am wondering which to read first
I seriously misread what you asked. Certainly, read the Algebra & Trigonometry book with study (not just reading without study) BEFORE reading & studying the Physics book.

In case you find the Trigonometry too confusing or difficult, concentrate on the Algebra for several weeks (few months?) first, before moving into Trigonometry.

What are the main factors to consider when deciding which skill to learn first?

The main factors to consider when deciding which skill to learn first are personal interest, career goals, availability of resources, difficulty level, and potential for future growth.

Should I focus on learning one skill at a time or multiple skills simultaneously?

It is usually more effective to focus on learning one skill at a time, as this allows you to fully immerse yourself in the learning process and develop a strong foundation. However, some people may benefit from learning multiple skills simultaneously if they have a strong ability to multitask.

Is it better to learn a broad range of skills or specialize in one specific skill?

This depends on your personal goals and career objectives. If you are looking to become a well-rounded scientist, it may be beneficial to learn a broad range of skills. However, if you have a specific career path in mind, specializing in one skill may be more beneficial.

How can I determine which skill will be most valuable in the scientific field?

You can determine which skill will be most valuable in the scientific field by researching current trends and job demand in your specific field of interest. You can also seek advice from experienced professionals or mentors in the field.

Is it ever too late to learn a new skill?

No, it is never too late to learn a new skill. With dedication and effort, anyone can learn and develop new skills at any age. It is important to remember that learning is a lifelong process and there is always room for growth and improvement.