.Exploring Spacetime Curvature: A Guide to General Relativity

In summary, Einstein believed that space and time are shaped by the objects in it, and that gravity operates according to the same rules everywhere in the universe.
Hyperspace2
I was just gong to learn general relativity(not with maths) but with some very basic tutorials given over internet. I also watched the animated series of general realtivity.

Everywhere i see,matter bends spacetime( a fabric of spac and time woven ). And when there is matter than this spacetime is curved, warped.

And many tutors give the idea of the trampoline net . You keep heavy object(A) in the middle of the net.
Then the tempoline net is curved. And other body (B) kept over the edge of trompoline net wll fall towards the heavy object(A). This idea is very fascinating and enjoyable.
But this experiement is done in earth. The gravity of the Earth pulls the body (A) . so the trompoline net is curved downward, so the body (B) falls to the heavy object (A)

But in the universe there is no meaning of up and down.
so I am confused ,how the space is being curved. Let us suppose a heavy object (A)
in Universe I have uploaded two pics. In the pic I have given name upside and downside.
Can anyone say how the process is ging to happen.
Because space is everywhere surrounding over the planet an the chances of space curving are equally probable in any direction. I am going mad ain this topic.
Or my way of understanding is wrong. I will give million ,billion thanks(not dollars::rofl:)
to that person who makes me clear. Advance thanks

Attachments

• upside.jpg
    upside.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 374
  • downside.jpg
    downside.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 369
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Hyperspace2! :smile:
Hyperspace2 said:
And many tutors give the idea of the trampoline net . You keep heavy object(A) in the middle of the net.
Then the tempoline net is curved. And other body (B) kept over the edge of trompoline net wll fall towards the heavy object(A).

The "falling" doesn't matter, all that matters is the curvature.

Using a hat, say, instead of a trampoline, it makes no difference whether the hat is the right way up or the wrong way up … the curvature is the same.

The geometry of space-time is decided by the "straight lines" in it, and whether they stay parallel, or get further apart or closer together.

Hit a billiard ball hard, and it will follow the same curve (approximately) whether it's on the upper surface of the hat the right way up, or the hat the wrong way up.

The purpose of the trampoline analogy is to show how two balls side-by-side will move closer to each other as they get nearer the centre … the way gravity actually acts on the trampoline is not meant to mimic the way it acts in space-time. :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Hi Hyperspace2! :smile:

The "falling" doesn't matter, all that matters is the curvature.

Using a hat, say, instead of a trampoline, it makes no difference whether the hat is the right way up or the wrong way up … the curvature is the same.

The geometry of space-time is decided by the "straight lines" in it, and whether they stay parallel, or get further apart or closer together.

Hit a billiard ball hard, and it will follow the same curve (approximately) whether it's on the upper surface of the hat the right way up, or the hat the wrong way up.

The purpose of the trampoline analogy is to show how two balls side-by-side will move closer to each other as they get nearer the centre … the way gravity actually acts on the trampoline is not meant to mimic the way it acts in space-time. :wink:

Could we think like this , space somewhat pushes the body of lower mass to the body of higher mass- ( i didn't say this I copied this from Dr. Micho Kaku in his video on you tube.)

Did Eeinstine had a very very clear picture or he could imagine the spacetime curve .
Or he had some confusion as Like Newton had confusion for he couldnot explain how gravity works.

1. What is spacetime curvature?

Spacetime curvature is the bending and warping of the fabric of space and time caused by massive objects. According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, the presence of mass or energy can cause spacetime to curve, affecting the motion of objects within it.

2. How is spacetime curvature measured?

Spacetime curvature is measured using the mathematical concept of curvature tensors. These tensors are used to calculate the curvature at any point in spacetime, allowing scientists to understand the shape and intensity of the curvature caused by massive objects.

3. What is the significance of spacetime curvature?

Spacetime curvature is significant because it explains the phenomenon of gravity in the universe. It also helps us understand the behavior of objects in the presence of massive objects, such as planets orbiting a star or galaxies moving through the expanding universe.

4. How does general relativity explain spacetime curvature?

General relativity explains spacetime curvature as a result of the presence of mass or energy. According to this theory, objects with mass or energy cause spacetime to curve, and the curvature determines the path that objects will follow in the presence of gravity.

5. How is spacetime curvature related to the concept of spacetime?

Spacetime curvature is a fundamental aspect of the concept of spacetime. In the theory of general relativity, spacetime is a four-dimensional continuum that includes three dimensions of space and one dimension of time. The curvature of spacetime is responsible for the motion of objects and the effects of gravity in this four-dimensional space.