Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which software for math major?

1. Jan 11, 2010 #1
    Hey All,
    Is there a software package that shows a step by step how it solved a problem? I've looked into Maple, and I think that Maple does this, but not sure.

I'm looking for software that will help me learn calculus, analysis, linear and abstract algebra.

Also, does anyone know about the add-on packages for maple Student edition? From what I need to learn from above, do I need to get the engineering package? Mostly I'm wondering if I can do all the maths with just the basic edition, and if so, what's different between the standard and add-on packages, like the engineering bundle?
    Steve

Also, can these software packages do statistics?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2010 #2
    There may be software that does that, but there's a free website that does it too -- Wolfram|Alpha. Here's an example of what it does with [tex]\int {{x^2}{{\sin }^3}(x)dx} [/tex]: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=integrate+x^2+sin^3+x+dx (notice the "show steps" link in the upper-right of the first section?)

The Wolfram|Alpha input syntax isn't real difficult to learn, but if you already have MathType, version 6.6 has a "View in Wolfram|Alpha" command that will open it up directly in W|A without you having to type anything.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook