1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which solvent is the best choice?

1. Jan 19, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I want to extract and quantify lipids inside the starch. Which solvents you recommend for the extraction?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2016 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Let's turn this into a learning experience --- "like dissolves like," can be translated to what?

4. Jan 20, 2016 #3
    Hi,

I didnt understand what do you mean? Starch is not soluble neither in water nor in ethanol but lipids are soluble in organinc solvent such as chloroform. But the problem is starch would be precipitated under all the solvents (it would be water phase,organic phase and the. Precipated starch)? Is my theory correct? If we use seperation funnel then starch would block the passage of the funnel?

5. Jan 20, 2016 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Sounds like you've got your answer --- starch is insoluble.

6. Jan 20, 2016 #5
    So, what is the solution? Do you have any idea?

7. Jan 20, 2016 #6

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

Sep funnels are great for liquid-liquid extractions, but they're not the only tool. If you want to separate your organic solvent + dissolved lipids from the starch, what methods do you know of that might work to separate a liquid from a solid?

8. Jan 20, 2016 #7
    Solid phase seperation?

9. Jan 20, 2016 #8

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

You can try filtering out the solid or centrifuging.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted