1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which stat mech text?

1. Jul 23, 2007 #1
    Hi,

I've acquired a few stat mech texts.

1)Landau & Lif****z: A Course in Theoretical Physics: Statistical Mechanics part 1 and 2
    2)Huang
    3)Chandler

Which of these should I start with to self-study statistical mechanics? I'm eager to read one of the famous Landau texts, but I'm afraid it may be a bit more dated than Chandler. Huang I've heard uses a non-standard kinetic approach that some love and some hate. Which one to begin with? I'm currently leaning towards Landau.

Also, is a grounding in Halliday and Resnick suficient to tackle Goldstein? I'm borrowing it from a friend, having failed to find the legendary Mechanics by Landau that seems to make everyone salivate. I've also heard that these standard texts offer a cordinate based approach while an alternate breed of texts use manifolds to develop classical mech in a coordinate free manner. This sounds very interesting. Can you tell me more about it? Do these texts carry their own math or is a previous aquitance with topolgy/differential geometry required? What is the best text of this kind?

Thanks a lot.

Molu

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2007 #2

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Reif is the text you should start with. Get the Berkely series for statistical physics then go on to his more advanced text.

4. Jul 23, 2007 #3
    I think that Greiner, Neise and Stoecker, "Thermodynamics and Statistical Physics" is a wonderful intro stat mech book.

Heh, I love how the autobleep function took liberties with "Lif****z".

5. Jul 23, 2007 #4

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I learned with Tony Guenault's book. Its an excellent intro text used in the UK.

6. Jul 23, 2007 #5
    Which Huang are you talking about? The new "undergrad" version or the standard old-school version? DO NOT USE THE NEW "UNDERGRAD" VERSION NO MATTER WHAT. It is a horrible text.

I like Landau & Lif****z. And Reif is a good book to start from.

7. Jul 24, 2007 #6
    my only experience with stat mech so far is with sanchez and browley, so i can't comment on any of the listed books.

usually, one takes a course using, say, thornton and marion, between the halliday and resnick course in mechanics and the goldstein course.

8. Jul 24, 2007 #7

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Google books has previews and reviews of many texts. If you're having trouble deciding why not take a look and see which you fancy on there.

http://books.google.com/

9. Jul 24, 2007 #8
    Thank you all for your comments, but I don't have Greiner or any of the other texts mentioned. I've the three texts I listed and am wondering which one I should start with. Even better will be if you could tell me which topics are strong in which books. Thanks.

Molu

10. Jul 24, 2007 #9
    How do I find out which one my Huang is? And is it possible to begin with Landau? I've already had a basic introduction to thermodynamics with Atkin's Physical Chemistry and a very basic introduction to stat mech with Meghnad Saha and Srivastav's A Treatise on Heat. Thanks.

Molu

11. Jul 24, 2007 #10
  12. Jul 25, 2007 #11
    Thanks. So is it possible to begin with Landau?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?