Which Stat Mech Text Should I Read?

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on which text to start with for self-studying statistical mechanics. The suggested texts include Landau & Lif****z, Huang, and Chandler. The individual is leaning towards Landau, but is also curious about the non-standard approach used in Huang's text. They also inquire about the necessary mathematical background for these texts and mention their previous exposure to thermodynamics and basic statistical mechanics. The conversation also includes recommendations for other texts and warnings about certain versions of Huang's text.
loom91
Hi,

I've acquired a few stat mech texts.

1)Landau & Lif****z: A Course in Theoretical Physics: Statistical Mechanics part 1 and 2
2)Huang
3)Chandler

Which of these should I start with to self-study statistical mechanics? I'm eager to read one of the famous Landau texts, but I'm afraid it may be a bit more dated than Chandler. Huang I've heard uses a non-standard kinetic approach that some love and some hate. Which one to begin with? I'm currently leaning towards Landau.

Also, is a grounding in Halliday and Resnick suficient to tackle Goldstein? I'm borrowing it from a friend, having failed to find the legendary Mechanics by Landau that seems to make everyone salivate. I've also heard that these standard texts offer a cordinate based approach while an alternate breed of texts use manifolds to develop classical mech in a coordinate free manner. This sounds very interesting. Can you tell me more about it? Do these texts carry their own math or is a previous aquitance with topolgy/differential geometry required? What is the best text of this kind?

Thanks a lot.

Molu

Physics news on Phys.org
Reif is the text you should start with. Get the Berkely series for statistical physics then go on to his more advanced text.

I think that Greiner, Neise and Stoecker, "Thermodynamics and Statistical Physics" is a wonderful intro stat mech book.

Heh, I love how the autobleep function took liberties with "Lif****z".

I learned with Tony Guenault's book. Its an excellent intro text used in the UK.

Which Huang are you talking about? The new "undergrad" version or the standard old-school version? DO NOT USE THE NEW "UNDERGRAD" VERSION NO MATTER WHAT. It is a horrible text.

I like Landau & Lif****z. And Reif is a good book to start from.

my only experience with stat mech so far is with sanchez and browley, so i can't comment on any of the listed books.

usually, one takes a course using, say, thornton and marion, between the halliday and resnick course in mechanics and the goldstein course.

Google books has previews and reviews of many texts. If you're having trouble deciding why not take a look and see which you fancy on there.

http://books.google.com/

Thank you all for your comments, but I don't have Greiner or any of the other texts mentioned. I've the three texts I listed and am wondering which one I should start with. Even better will be if you could tell me which topics are strong in which books. Thanks.

Molu

Norman said:
Which Huang are you talking about? The new "undergrad" version or the standard old-school version? DO NOT USE THE NEW "UNDERGRAD" VERSION NO MATTER WHAT. It is a horrible text.

I like Landau & Lif****z. And Reif is a good book to start from.

How do I find out which one my Huang is? And is it possible to begin with Landau? I've already had a basic introduction to thermodynamics with Atkin's Physical Chemistry and a very basic introduction to stat mech with Meghnad Saha and Srivastav's A Treatise on Heat. Thanks.

Molu

Thanks. So is it possible to begin with Landau?

1. What is statistical mechanics?

Statistical mechanics is a branch of physics that uses statistical methods to explain the behavior of a large number of particles in a system, such as molecules in a gas or atoms in a solid. It aims to predict the macroscopic properties of a system based on the microscopic behavior of its constituent particles.

2. Why is it important to study statistical mechanics?

Statistical mechanics is important because it provides a framework for understanding and predicting the behavior of complex systems made up of a large number of particles. It is used in many fields, including physics, chemistry, biology, and materials science, to explain phenomena such as phase transitions, chemical reactions, and the properties of materials.

3. What are some recommended textbooks for learning statistical mechanics?

Some commonly recommended textbooks for learning statistical mechanics include "Statistical Mechanics" by Pathria and Beale, "Statistical Mechanics: Entropy, Order Parameters and Complexity" by Sethna, and "An Introduction to Thermal Physics" by Schroeder.

4. What should I consider when choosing a stat mech text to read?

When choosing a stat mech text, it is important to consider your level of understanding and background in physics, as well as your specific interests and goals. Some texts may be more mathematically rigorous and suited for advanced students, while others may provide a more conceptual and intuitive approach.

5. Are there any online resources available for learning statistical mechanics?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning statistical mechanics, including lecture notes, video lectures, and interactive simulations. Some universities also offer free online courses on statistical mechanics, and there are various online forums and communities where you can ask questions and discuss concepts with others.