Which substance is more acidic

• Thread starter somsom
  • Start date
In summary, the discussion focused on the acidity of H3C-bezene-cooh and H3Cp-bezene-cooh. It was noted that the presence of methyl groups in the latter compound would make it less acidic due to destabilization of the dimethylphenylcarboxylate ion. The group then discussed how to compare the acidity of the single methyl group in H3C-bezene-cooh with the acidity of bezene-cooh. It was concluded that the more methyl groups present, the less acidic the compound would be.
somsom
H3C-bezene-cooh

H3Cp-bezene-cooh
----H3Cm|
second one has 2 ch3 attaching ti benezene at para and meta

can u tell me how to know which one is more acidic ?thanx

-somsom

Physics news on Phys.org
It's been a heck of a long time since I last did this (13 years), but IIRC, the methyl group is a weak electron donor. That means the dimethylphenylcarboxylate ion will be destabilised by the two methyl groups, leading to a shift to the left in the equilibrium :

[tex]HA \rightarrow H^+ + A^-[/tex]

where [itex]A^-[/itex] denotes the dimethylphenylcarboxylate ion.

This will of course, lead to a reduction in [itex][H^+][/tex], and a reduction in acidity of the dimethyl compound.

The single methyl group would have the same effect, but less so, so it should be the more acidic of the two.

Last edited:
thanx, but how to compare the singlemuthyl one with
bezene-cooh, which is more acidic ? help me please tomorow is i post report , i don't know to do.

sorry forgot to tell you a thin that i am 31 yrs old, and now had to toolk a course in chemistry for a job, still looking

Same reasoning that I posted. Every methyl group makes the compound a less strong acid.

So in terms of decreasing acidity (in order of increasing pH in solution),

benzoic acid > methylbenzoic acid > dimethylbenzoic acid > trimethylbenzoic acid...

and so on.

1. What is the definition of acidity?

Acidity refers to the level of hydrogen ions (H+) present in a substance. The more hydrogen ions present, the more acidic the substance is.

2. How is acidity measured?

Acidity is measured on the pH scale, which ranges from 0 to 14. A substance with a pH of 7 is considered neutral, while a pH below 7 is acidic and a pH above 7 is basic.

3. Which substance is more acidic: lemon juice or vinegar?

Vinegar is more acidic than lemon juice. Vinegar has a pH of around 2-3, while lemon juice has a pH of around 5-6.

4. What factors can affect the acidity of a substance?

The concentration of hydrogen ions, the type of acid present, and the temperature can all affect the acidity of a substance. In general, the higher the concentration of hydrogen ions, the more acidic the substance will be.

5. How does acidity impact the environment?

High levels of acidity can be harmful to the environment, as it can damage plants, animals, and bodies of water. Acid rain, which is caused by air pollution, can have a negative impact on ecosystems and can also corrode buildings and infrastructure.