1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which suitable motor

1. Jan 30, 2012 #1
    Hi, I was wondering if you can spare me your expertise.

What kind of motor can I use for a spit roast project?

upto 65kg load and about 4-6 rpm.

Thanking you in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2012 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Welcome to PF, Aramos.
    I'm not familiar with spits. I have a couple of propane BBQ's, but neither has a rotisserie attachment, and definitely neither has the capacity that you specify.
    Almost all 115 VAC motors run at 1,750 rpms, so it is simply a matter of gearing to get the speed that you want. They vary in torque ability, though, so you would want something more like from an electric drill than from a blow drier. Come to think of it, an electric screwdriver has even better gearing than a drill. You're looking at double or even triple sets of planetary reduction units. You could rip the lips off of a rhinoceros with one of those things.

4. Jan 31, 2012 #3

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

A gearmotor is what youre after.
    On the cheap - if you're okay with using hand tools to make it, an automobile windshield wiper motor and bicycle chain reduction might work. A 6 amp battery charger will power it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook