Determining Confidence for Different Population Samples - GT

• Thread starter glok_twen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Test
In summary, the question is regarding determining the confidence that two samples with known mean, standard deviation, and sample size are drawn from different populations. The suggested test is the F-test, which is used to compare sample variances, and the p-score, which is used to compare sample means. However, it is not possible to determine this without knowing the sample sizes.
glok_twen
hi. i have two samples with known mean and variance. do you know which test i use to determine the confidence that they are drawn from different populations?

also if you know a link that explains how to calculate the test that would be helpful. i have some stats books too in case needed. (but couldn't seem to pick out which the right test was)

thanks,
gt

Physics news on Phys.org
thanks.

best i can tell is that the f-test is used to determine whether two sample variances are indeed drawn from the same population:

http://www.itl.nist.gov/div898/handbook/eda/section3/eda359.htm

and that to see whether the means are drawn from the same population the p-stat is used.

please advise if you think this sounds correct.

glok_twen said:
hi. i have two samples with known mean and variance.

? You imply population mean & variance known? (If you have the samples you can always calculate means and variances... )
Any way, if all the four parameters are unknown, you can test equality of the CVs (coefficient of variations). Testing merely the quality of means or merely the equality of sd's will not serve your purpose.

Last edited:
what's known

in this case i know only the means and std dev's for 2 samples, but not for the population. i would like to know with a given degree of confidence whether those 2 samples were drawn for the same population.

i've seen conflicting ways to do this - one with a p-score, one with a f-test, and i am still confused with which is correct.

glok_twen said:
in this case i know only the means and std dev's for 2 samples, but not for the population. i would like to know with a given degree of confidence whether those 2 samples were drawn for the same population.

i've seen conflicting ways to do this - one with a p-score, one with a f-test, and i am still confused with which is correct.

You cannot do this unless the sample sizes are known.

yes, thanks, i inadvertently omitted that - i know the mean, std dev and sample size for two samples. and then the problem stands as originally stated - which test is the correct one to determine a confidence level on whether they were drawn from the same population.

1. What is confidence interval?

The confidence interval is a range of values that is likely to contain the true population parameter with a certain level of confidence.

2. How is confidence interval calculated?

The confidence interval is calculated using the sample mean, standard deviation, sample size, and the desired level of confidence. It is typically calculated as: sample mean ± margin of error.

3. What is the relationship between sample size and confidence interval?

The larger the sample size, the smaller the confidence interval will be. This is because a larger sample size provides a more accurate estimate of the population parameter and reduces the margin of error.

4. What is the significance of the level of confidence in determining the confidence interval?

The level of confidence indicates the likelihood that the true population parameter falls within the calculated confidence interval. For example, a 95% confidence interval means that there is a 95% chance that the true population parameter falls within that interval.

5. How can confidence interval be used in hypothesis testing?

Confidence interval can be used to determine whether the null hypothesis is likely to be true. If the null hypothesis falls within the calculated confidence interval, we cannot reject it. If the null hypothesis falls outside of the confidence interval, we can reject it with a certain level of confidence.