Which thread types can be used together

• Thread starter geneticmateri
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thread
If you decide to use the M20x2.5 bit, you could use reducers with M20x1.5 or M20x2 threads. It's important to make sure the threads of the reducers match the tap bit being used.In summary, Dan is looking to adapt a car intake manifold by tapping untapped injector holes and fitting reducing nipples. He has a 7/8" BSW tap bit and M20x2.5 ISO tap bits, but is unsure of which thread sizes will work with them. It is recommended to use an M14x1.25 tap bit and reducers with M14x1.5 or M14x2 threads if using the 7/8" BSW tap bit,
geneticmateri
Hi, I am looking to adapt a car intake manifold.
There are 4 injector holes (untapped) that measure a touch over 18.5mm.
I plan to tap these holes and fit some reducing nipples to them.
I have a 7/8" BSW tap bit and some M20x2.5 ISO tap bits.

I need some help on the following;
Will the 7/8" bsw be too large for this hole?
if not, what other threads would work with the 7/8 bsw?

If I use the M20x2.5 bit instead, what other male threads would work with it?

The reason I'm asking this is because these are the only bits I have but I am struggling to find nipples or reducers that fit with either the 7/8" bsw or the M20x2.5 bit.

Thanks

Dan

Engineering news on Phys.org
The 7/8" BSW tap bit is too large for the hole and would likely damage the hole. I would suggest using an M14x1.25 tap bit as this should fit the hole size. As for reducers, you could use reducers with M14x1.5 or M14x2 threads.

1. Can NPT and BSP threads be used together?

Yes, NPT (National Pipe Taper) and BSP (British Standard Pipe) threads are both standard pipe thread types and can be used together. However, they have different thread angles and may require special fittings or adapters for a proper seal.

2. Are G and R threads compatible with each other?

No, G (BSP parallel) and R (BSPT) threads are not compatible with each other. They have different thread angles and diameters, and attempting to use them together can result in leaks or damage to the threads.

3. Is it possible to use metric and imperial threads together?

Yes, it is possible to use metric and imperial threads together, but it is not recommended. The thread pitches and diameters are different, so they may not fit properly and can cause leaks or damage to the threads.

4. Can straight and tapered threads be used together?

No, straight and tapered threads cannot be used together. Straight threads have a constant diameter, while tapered threads decrease in diameter towards the end. Attempting to use them together can result in leaks or damage to the threads.

5. Are UNF and UNC threads interchangeable?

No, UNF (Unified Fine) and UNC (Unified Coarse) threads are not interchangeable. They have different thread pitches, so they will not fit together properly and may cause leaks or damage to the threads.