Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which to read?

1. Feb 17, 2009 #1
    hello
    i am an undergraduate student and i have to do my project with "Fluent".
    but i have not worked with Fluent before and i am told that before working
    with fluent i should read some cfd texts.
    so i was wondering if anybody could help me to choose the right cfd textbook for working
    with fluent.
    these are some books i have found by searching in amazon:

Fundamentals of Computational Fluid Dynamics, Harvard Lomax and Thomas H. Pulliam

Computational Fluid Dynamics, john d.anderson

Computational Fluid Dynamics, klaus A.hoffman

COMPUTATIONAL FLUID DYNAMICS:PRINCIPLES AND APPLICATIONS, J. Blazek

COMPUTATIONAL METHODS FOR FLUID DYNAMICS, J.H.Ferziger

Introduction to computational fluid dynamics.The finite volume method , H.K. Versteeg

i really appreciate if anybody could guide me throught choosing the right book.
    thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2009 #2

minger

Science Advisor

One of the best introductions to CFD is a paper written by (as you mentioned) Thomas Pulliam. He wrote it while writing ARC2D, a structured, curvilinear, implicit solver. Best of all, it's free! He has the pdf on his personal website, definitely check it out.

Beyond that, anything by Anderson will be good (I have Computational Fluid Mechanics, which isn't quite as good as some of his other stuff). I also have about 120 pages of unedited, unfinished notes which I could send you, which goes a WIDE range of topics, intended to be an introduction to CFD.

4. Feb 17, 2009 #3
    thanks for answer.i downloaded pulliam book and i looked throught it,there was a
    short chapter about finite volume(fluent is based on finite volume) i read it and it was
    very helpful for a non-knower of cfd,so i really thank you MINGER,and i really appreciate
    if you could send me the notes,(hootanatooh@yahoo.com)

so much thanks for great help

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook