• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Which undergraduate Degree?

• Programs
  • Thread starter Galgenstrick
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Would it be better to get a B.S. in physics then a M.S. in Optics? or would it be better to get a B.S. in Optical Engineering and then a M.S. in Optics?

Either way I want to get a Masters in Optics, I just want to know if it would be a disadvantage to have a B.S. and M.S. both in optics.

Answers and Replies

What do you want to do with your degrees?

Right now I am a technician working with thin-film optics. I plan on doing something along these lines, other options would be laser engineering or spectroscopy or imaging technology. I love working on optical tables, I have experience with laser cooling, interferometry etc.

I also plan to specialize in optics (for the PhD at least), but I opted to do a physics undergrad just in case I changed my mind. The more I learn about physics and such, the more I become interested in different things.

I also plan to specialize in optics (for the PhD at least), but I opted to do a physics undergrad just in case I changed my mind. The more I learn about physics and such, the more I become interested in different things.
This is definitely true. There are so many cool things with physics. I am going to ask a couple of the optics PhDs at my work, and see what they think, they all did physics as undergraduate, however, 20 years ago there weren't as many specialization degrees available.

My university has a physics degree with a specialization in Optics and Photonics. Perhaps you have something similar.

It's basically this:
4.3. Optics and Lasers Specialization 18 hrs
PHY 4424 Optics 3 hrs
Select 2: 6 hrs
EEL 4440 Optical Engineering or 3 hrs
OSE 5203 Geometrical Optics and Imaging Systems or 3 hrs
OSE 5312 Light Matter Interaction or 3 hrs
OSE 5414 Fundamentals of Optoelectronic Devices or 3 hrs
PHY 4445 Lasers 3 hrs

Last edited:
My university has a physics degree with a specialization in Optics and Photonics. Perhaps you have something similar.

It's basically this:
4.3. Optics and Lasers Specialization 18 hrs
PHY 4424 Optics 3 hrs
Select 2: 6 hrs
EEL 4440 Optical Engineering or 3 hrs
OSE 5203 Geometrical Optics and Imaging Systems or 3 hrs
OSE 5312 Light Matter Interaction or 3 hrs
OSE 5414 Fundamentals of Optoelectronic Devices or 3 hrs
PHY 4445 Lasers 3 hrs
Which university is this? I am willing to transfer out of state / country

The University of Central Florida. They have a mediocre "big state school" undergrad program, but their (grad) College of Optics and Photonics (which this specialization is catered to) is one of the best.

http://www.creol.ucf.edu/

The listing of optics based grad courses (you can take as an undergrad) is astounding.